PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Bantam bowls are the best, I'd say. Never used to think much of my falcon, up until I got a bantam bowl. Bit of a game changer really. Just a shame they stopped making the bantam sized stems.
Game changer in that the Bantam smokes better /tastes different from other falcon bowls?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I always see Meerschaum, Carbon, Briar on ebay. Sometimes a Cob bowl will cross the site but rare. In January a rare bowl sold that was a Cauldron shape I had never seen before. $$ wise they are all over the place on ebay.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Falcons…. I have a few that I inherited perhaps 40 years ago. But, for me, they tend to be used very infrequently. They function adequately well but have never been a “favorite” for me. I think their aluminum shank makes them more “noticed” by other non-pipe smoking folks….. and not in positive ways. I find it easier and more enjoyable to use briar pipes in a traditional shape.

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Falcon Bantam bulldog bowl!!
I suspect a whole thread could be devoted to bowl shape and the impact on smoking experience, maybe even that certain bowls can be dedicated to a specific leaf or mix. In addition to the Bantam I've heard good things about chimney bowls.

Reactions: simong and edger

Sun Bear John

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2022
Missouri Ozarks
I suspect a whole thread could be devoted to bowl shape and the impact on smoking experience, maybe even that certain bowls can be dedicated to a specific leaf or mix. In addition to the Bantam I've heard good things about chimney bowls.
The stem shape and style has a role to play as well. You have the classic stems, the internationals, bent, straight, filtered, no-filtered. :D

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Meerschaum lined olive bowl pipes are all that's available from my web travels.

Perhaps this thread will spark some entrepreneur/craftsman.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Bantam bowls are the best, I'd say. Never used to think much of my falcon, up until I got a bantam bowl. Bit of a game changer really. Just a shame they stopped making the bantam sized stems.
Can you explain what you mean by ''bantam sized stems'' Simon? Despite smoking Falcons since you were a nipper I haven't the foggiest what one them is!