PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
slightly off-topic, but ....

Why does Fall/Autumn = Maple ???

Maple syrup is made in the late winter to early spring (I know, living in the heart of maple syrup country, i.e. Northwoods Wisconsin).

Personally, I just want to smoke latakia/Balkans as the weather turns a bit cooler, or burley-heavy blends (for example, HH Burley Flake).

But if you are looking for a maple-ish aro: Aylesbury Dragon Flake, if you can find it.
Thanks for the suggestion! If Wilkes doesn't pan out will come back here and go on the hunt.

The reason for me is here in the south we spend a lot of time in the summer with sweeteners like cane sugar, very sweet , has punch and is very present. Maple and honeys are a bit warmer and mellower and leaves an awesome room note that tends to stick around to give that little autumn or fall feel/atmosphere. In the cooler months you have a bit more time in the home and smelling what's been cooking for breakfast letting the sun get above the horizon a bit more so you can see what your working with outside. Instead of running out to get as much done in a 14 hour sun as you can in the summer. But that was growing up here in NC for me.
If I waited to consume things compared to their harvest. Well None of us would be smoking until September-ish due to normal tobacco growth and harvest times, plus curing. Nor corn, or most foods for that matter.

Reactions: Singularis

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Growing up on the coast of Georgia, 52F last night had me laughing at my friends in Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Arizona. But I miss the food terribly...we live in a food desert in New Hampshire.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Growing up on the coast of Georgia, 52F last night had me laughing at my friends in Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Arizona. But I miss the food terribly...we live in a food desert in New Hampshire.
Are you close to, ". . . the Notch?" I heard a fellow from New Hampshire call the area that when I was telling him how dark the woods seemed at night, even just looking out the motel room window in Franconia Notch, and how great the smell of evergreen trees were near an area off the road that was being logged. As for autumn and tobacco flavors, I like all the above in the thread except for the Hearth and Home blend that I haven't tried (others but not Trout Stream).
kindly
mike (in texas--a long ways with a long hot Aug and Sept before Autumn temps in mid Oct and Nov here, it was 86 here in NE Texas at 4 am yesterday)

Reactions: aquadoc

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
Since I run loads for a grocery/ general merch store chain I am being reminded that Fall is right around the corner. My loads are containing a bunch of back to school stuff.
Which has me back in the search for a good fall aro that is a good maple. I've tried Maple Street- not impressed. Tried Autumn evening..... again, not impressed. I had a good batch of Sutliffs Rum and Maple and that set the bar high but it seems the mixture got changed up and now is as yawn inspiring as the other two.
Any other good recommendations out there that is obtainable? I saw a video review of Kendall New Prince from Gawith Hoggarth but don't see anyone carrying it here in the states.
Has to have a good room note. Remember I am in the truck 5-6 days a week. So when I climb out and back in I want to be able to enjoy it and not whence and wait until I go nose blind again.

Bring out the Latakia ?

Reactions: OSOBUCO

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Wilke’s Vermont Maple is pretty good… I like that and Autumn Evening.

My Wilkes order you suggested came in today and ofcourse like a kid at Christmas I tore into it. I was a bit worried as the ziplok bag they had it in had torn at the edges which explained why I could smell it through the FedEx envelope. I ordered the VErmont Maple and the Rum and Maple.

After transferring the Vermont Maple to a jar for better keeping I fired up a bowl.

Exactly what I was looking for !!!!! First bowl was awesome! The flavor is definitely there and even after smoking the room note is very pleasant and even better the mustache note has been a nice reminder. Only regret now is I only opted for 2oz. Guess I know what is on my budget list now for next pay period.

Awesome recommendation! Thank you! I had never heard of Wilkes before hand. I have high hopes for the Rum and Maple too. Maybe that will be a journey for this evening.

Reactions: John Brandt

John Brandt

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2020
Fall River MA
My Wilkes order you suggested came in today and ofcourse like a kid at Christmas I tore into it. I was a bit worried as the ziplok bag they had it in had torn at the edges which explained why I could smell it through the FedEx envelope. I ordered the VErmont Maple and the Rum and Maple.

After transferring the Vermont Maple to a jar for better keeping I fired up a bowl.

Exactly what I was looking for !!!!! First bowl was awesome! The flavor is definitely there and even after smoking the room note is very pleasant and even better the mustache note has been a nice reminder. Only regret now is I only opted for 2oz. Guess I know what is on my budget list now for next pay period.

Awesome recommendation! Thank you! I had never heard of Wilkes before hand. I have high hopes for the Rum and Maple too. Maybe that will be a journey for this evening.
Glad you enjoyed the Vermont Maple.

Reactions: Pipingntrucking

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

Try the peanut butter - it’ll blow your mind.

Reactions: Pipingntrucking