PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Flounder is excellent and underrated even 30 years ago. When i worked in a fish market people would prefer Filet of Sole because it was whiter/lighter - fine flaked and fine boned. Its ALL Flounder unless its Dover sole from East Atlantic or Mediterranean. The bottom side of the flounder is lighter in color than top side and people would only want lighter color side --- two halves of same fish is same fish !??? Crazy ... they would pay a premium and say it tastes different ... no it doesn't. I would think that a lot of people paid top dollar for filet of sole but were getting bottom side flounder !!!

Does anyone have a large frying pan ?:

1656939162918.png

Here's a good quick article on different species in Americas :

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
A fond memory from many decades ago, my late father in law and I would go out in his small outboard to Boston light at the edge of Boston Harbor and fish for flounder. We used sea worms as bait. The little boat probably had no business being out there as the waves were sometimes quite large. We would catch lots of catcher's mit size flounder. He was a wonderful guy who grew up in far northern Maine's Aroostock County. He lives on in my memory.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A fond memory from many decades ago, my late father in law and I would go out in his small outboard to Boston light at the edge of Boston Harbor and fish for flounder. We used sea worms as bait. The little boat probably had no business being out there as the waves were sometimes quite large. We would catch lots of catcher's mit size flounder. He was a wonderful guy who grew up in far northern Maine's Aroostock County. He lives on in my memory.
Maybe for you but not for him ! Wonderful memories to have ! 'Ya' can't get there from herah' ...
1656945056754.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This thread is making me really hungry. I've never had crab-stuffed flounder, but now it's at the top of my list.

My favorites are salmon and steelhead trout - it's so fresh here in the PacNW, compared to what I got in the South twenty years ago, that I can't get enough of it, no matter how it's prepared.
Friday I made salmon stock, and today will heat up a pot full and drop in some chunks of fresh fish right at the end. Here is what went into it. Ironically, the only heads and bones I could get were from North Atlantic!

20220701_104314.jpg
20220701_103934.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We eat quite a bit of flounder here in Maryland. We grill ours on wood/bourbon soaked wood planks (we do all of our fish that way).

The best tasting fish I've had, was last summer at Gulf Shores Alabama, Trigger fish - wow, tasted like crab, sweet. Can't get it anywhere up here. Some interesting cooking info here.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
You bring up a good point. I can't remember the last time I saw flounder as an option at a seafood restaurant, and I'm not so sure I can even get it at my local market. Maybe it got pushed aside by the farmed tilapia as others suggested. I've never cared for it (tilapia).

My default go-to readily available fish is cod (preferably Atlantic), but I'm going to look for flounder next time I'm shopping fish.

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Y’all have taken me back to when I lived in Maine. The Portland fish market on the water has fresh fish right off the boats and cheap too. Haddock 9 bucks a pound when it was selling for over twenty in New York. Of course I got my lobsters free as my financial adviser had about 40 traps. i did have to meet him at 4:45 in the morning and go out with him on his boat, but early mornings on Casco Bay are beautiful. F2B3CFFB-8EFE-43CD-A438-1BD5154B8493.jpeg0EB265D2-855A-43B1-8E9A-40F345ABEC7A.jpeg0C0F6EEE-5C0C-4DD2-954C-56E1DA17C0CE.jpeg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Most of those expressions are from Downeast Maine and Massachusetts. Aroostock County is far northern Maine stretching to Quebec and French is the predominant language. Potato country.
I know i was just kidding. I went to college with a guy from Caribou ... he showed us a picture of his house taken on October 10th and all you could see was the top of the chimney ... the entire house was covered in snow and there was a huge tunnel to the front door. I love winter and snow but even that was too much for me !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Y’all have taken me back to when I lived in Maine. The Portland fish market on the water has fresh fish right off the boats and cheap too. Haddock 9 bucks a pound when it was selling for over twenty in New York. Of course I got my lobsters free as my financial adviser had about 40 traps. i did have to meet him at 4:45 in the morning and go out with him on his boat, but early mornings on Casco Bay are beautiful. View attachment 155101View attachment 155102View attachment 155103
too small ... throw it back !!! :LOL:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Not to highjack too much but when i lived in Cali i had many cigar friends that worked at the studios, one of whom is a pretty well known postproduction supervisor. I went to visit him at work and while in his office Stephan Furst popped his head in the door and said “hi guys!!” I was .. i don’t even know what, Larry my friend knew i was a huge fan of the movie and when he saw Furst in the building earlier asked him if he’d do that and he was more than happy to. He actually came in and we talked for line 15 minutes, the nicest guy you could meet. He gave me an “ohhh boooy” too. Was very very sad when he passed away. Ok sorry back to the flat fish!

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Aren't they a problem everywhere ??? :ROFLMAO: Especially the politicians !
Well, those of us who live in the Commonwealth know what our fellow New Englanders sometimes call us. Of course, when they, their husband or wife, their parents or their children are desperately ill where do they look to for help and the world's best physicians? when they dream about their children's educations if they want some of the world's best colleges and Universities? When they want to attend a major sporting event or hear one of the world's best symphony orchestras? Which New England state offers everything: cosmopolitan, safe and beautiful city, miles of glorious beaches and coastline, fancy island life and winter sports in the western part of the state. They don't call Boston the "Hub of the universe" for nothing.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Well, those of us who live in the Commonwealth know what our fellow New Englanders sometimes call us. Of course, when they, their husband or wife, their parents or their children are desperately ill where do they look to for help and the world's best physicians? when they dream about their children's educations if they want some of the world's best colleges and Universities? When they want to attend a major sporting event or hear one of the world's best symphony orchestras? Which New England state offers everything: cosmopolitan, safe and beautiful city, miles of glorious beaches and coastline, fancy island life and winter sports in the western part of the state. They don't call Boston the "Hub of the universe" for nothing.
From Boston Magazine: Ken Jennings' Gentle and Sweet Redefinition of "Masshole" - https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/08/19/ken-jennings-masshole/

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Back in the 80s I used to fish with my dad in a Whaler Montauk 17 from CT and NY North to the coast of MA. Quincy Ma was the most prolific flounder fishing. It was insane, people would take too many fish. They had folks at the docks who would filet the catch for 10 cents a fish.

We took what we would eat and freeze. Fillets fried in beer batter was the way we liked it. In the late 80s and early 90's the water pollution got bad off Boston, and the fish off Quincy showed it. For a time they disappeared, one year I recall there was nothing in the water, not even crabs to steal bait. We stopped fishing there. I understand things are better but the whaler got sold and we've not been out in many many years. Flounder, like almost any fresh caught fish, is swell.