PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Title edited for brevity and caps.

I’m curious as to the number of pipers that segregate your pipes to specific tobaccos. Do you? If so which and why?
I do by blend types. Generally I am more sensitive on non-aromatics in keying on bowl geometry mostly. Certain dims and shapes lend themselves more appropriately to specific recipes. Wide and deep for catching the complexity of English/Balkan/Scottish; I throw Burleys into that w/d mix as well. Narrower or shorter bowls for hotter burning VA that are naturally less complex.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I do by blend types. Generally I am more sensitive on non-aromatics in keying on bowl geometry mostly. Certain dims and shapes lend themselves more appropriately to specific recipes. Wide and deep for catching the complexity of English/Balkan/Scottish; I throw Burleys into that w/d mix as well. Narrower or shorter bowls for hotter burning VA that are naturally less complex.
I have been utilizing the same specs for my pipes for different tobaccos. I believe I first read that in Pimo’s.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Well, I have virtually unlimited amount of pipes to use. I say that because I could dedicate one to every blend I’ve got open but I have never bothered. I have more pipes based on size and shape reasons.

I’ve tried for a few tobaccos I love like Penzance, Full Virginia Flake and others but in the end… I have my Virginia based blend pipes with less wide bowls and Dublin shapes, I have Burley based and English pipes with wide bowls. I’ll use a cob for the very rare aromatic. I do have a couple pipes that I love and smoke pretty much anything in them except aromatics and they’re great smokers.

Reactions: Salvaje

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Yes. This way:

Briars:
- Virginia only
- Virginia and Perique
- Virginia and Oriental (no Latkia)
- Virginia Oriental and Latakia

Anything with Burley goes in a cob.
Anything with an added flavouring goes in a cob.
Anything with a heavy dose of Kentucky goes in a cob or clay.

Lakeland scented depends. Some in a cob, others in a clay. The ones with only a light Lakeland topping have a dedicated briar.

A few briars are blend dedicated.

Easy and uncomplicated.
Isn't it? ?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Yes. This way:

Briars:
- Virginia only
- Virginia and Perique
- Virginia and Oriental (no Latkia)
- Virginia Oriental and Latakia

Anything with Burley goes in a cob.
Anything with an added flavouring goes in a cob.
Anything with a heavy dose of Kentucky goes in a cob or clay.

Lakeland scented depends. Some in a cob, others in a clay. The ones with only a light Lakeland topping have a dedicated briar.

A few briars are blend dedicated.

Easy and uncomplicated.
Isn't it? ?
Add 6 carry the 2 and divide by the denominator to determine your….oh wait! Got confused with tax time. Thought it was a government formula. ?

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Add 6 carry the 2 and divide by the denominator to determine your….oh wait! Got confused with tax time. Thought it was a government formula. ?
I haven’t tried any Lakelands. From the totally mixed reviews I can’t seem to find a decent middle ground to even get me interested enough to try. Maybe one day if it’s right in front of my face from a B&M.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I haven’t tried any Lakelands. From the totally mixed reviews I can’t seem to find a decent middle ground to even get me interested enough to try. Maybe one day if it’s right in front of my face from a B&M.
Best brown #2 by Gawith and Hoggarth is great. It’s not really a Lakeland but its got a hint of it in it and it’s a great blend. Been smoking it since I first started. Tinned and bulk too.

Reactions: anotherbob