PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
So this is my part 2 to BigVans review of Dr. Grabow. This is my first real review on a pipe and, as some of you already know, I'm a novice piper, so I thought it would be cool to get a green horns perspective on things. I smoked the Grabow about a half dozen times and the Parker about a dozen.
SO we will start with the Grabow
e6bfdbf4.jpg

65e9fd16.jpg

17dc1d41.jpg

edc3d995.jpg

9f0051db.jpg

Because this was received already used, I couldnt get a feel for it in the package, but by reading the description from BigVan, I had a general idea.
First thing I noticed when I picked it up was the weight. It is quite heavy for the size, which makes me believe that the wood was not aged very long, still containing moisture. I look down the bowl and inspect the draft hole, looks to be in some what proper location with the draft hold a millimeter or two off the very bottom.
Inspecting the bowl, it seems like there was a precarb on it. Looking at the outside of the pipe, the rustication, to me, seems a bit ugly. You can see where the tool was spinning unevenly, meaning that its not a very even "gouge". The metal ring around the stem where the shank meets is a nice touch though. The shank is shiny with what I'm guessing is their logo. The bit seems a bit rough and unrefined. When in my mouth, the bit seems to be quite thick and bulky, and the button is a bit rough around the edges. It clenched pretty well, and I for see long use out of it because of the thickness, you won't be biting through anytime soon.
Moving to the inner workings, it is a filtered pipe, using an aluminum tenon to hold the Medico pipe filter. The stem hole is drilled like a square, which is kind of odd to me. The draw is quite good, not too restrictive with a filter inside, and a bit less than a wide open draw.
First smoke is with a filter.

Loading the bowl, I definitely get a sense of how small this pipe really is. I found it a little difficult to pack with the longer cut tobacco, and much easier using the stuff from the bottom of my jar.
The first charring light goes like normal. The actual light goes well, lighting the entire surface, leaving no hot or cold spots (as my eye thermometer looks down).
The bowl lasts for about 10-15min, depending on pace and packing style. I found this pipe to be quite temperamental keeping lit. It required more attention and maintenance that any of my other pipes. It smoked down right to the bottom with very little dottle.
I tasted the weird taste from the bit BigVan was explaining, but it eventually went away (or i got used to it).
My second bowl was unfiltered, pretty much ending in the same result of many relights, and little dottle.
My overall thoughts of this pipe are O.K. Nothing special really. I will give it a thumbs up for price (about $30USD). But a thumbs down for the looks and feel in the mouth. This is a good buy for someone who is just getting into the sport, and have little money and is LOOKING for a SMALL pipe. For the same price, I bought a Savinelli Duca Carlo that smokes wonderfully, has a beautiful finish, smokes well and is quality made (I'm not saying Grabows are not well made, but there can be some improvements).
Pic of said Savinelli Duca Carlo

9c03235a.jpg

Not the best picture, but you get the idea. For the money paid, you can get something that looks much better.
Good:

-Availability

-History

-Price

-Small
Bad:

-Button is rough around the edges

-U.G.L.Y.

-Feels "cheap" in the hands and mouth

-Heavy for size

-Small
Bottom line of the Grand Duke:

It is a decent pipe for the money. Considering you can pick one up just about anywhere and it smokes well is a good selling point. But it is just too damn small!
The second pipe i received from BigVan was a Parker Jockey Club billiard pipe.
a52f3c20.jpg

ce03712d.jpg

f9d421eb.jpg

Upon looking over this pipe, I started to fall in love with it. It has a very nice finish on it, and the shape and style was more to my liking. It has a very nice black lacquer rusticates look. This pipe reminds me of the pipe Robert D Jr was smoking in his first Sherlock Holmes movie.
The bowl of the pipe is much more to my liking as well. The bowl is a bit shallower than some of my other pipes, but makes for a good smoke. The draft hole was dead on. Right in the middle and at the very bottom. Right away, I could tell it was going to be a good smoke. The shank is very shiny and the bit/button feel very nice in the mouth. The bit is much thinner than the Grand Duke, which makes for a more comfortable mouth feel.
The first char went as usually and so did the second. The initial light also went well, lighting the entire surface. This pipe needed much less attention ad maintenance than the Grabow. Usually only needing one or two relights to get to the very bottom. Very little dottle remains after the smoke. I smoke aromatics and found that this was a nice cooler smoke than some of the other pipes I have.
This pipe has definitely became one of my favorites. Balance in the and feel in the mouth are good, is much more refined than the Grabow. The pipe is lighter than the Grabow for the amount of wood used. Making me believe that the Parker briar was aged much longer.
My over all thoughts on the Parker:

Its a very good pipe for the price ($50USD). If I had to choose between the two, Parker gets the win hands down. The way the Parker was drilled makes this pipe a real winner. Not to mention the looks. You can really tell that there was much more workmanship put into the Parker. And thats why I would spend the extra $20 more for the Parker.
Good:

-Price

-Workmanship

-Quality

-finish

-Nice smoke
Bad:

-The lacquer was put on a bit thick.
Bottom line o the Parker Jockey Club

This is a very nice pipe for the price. Draft hole is properly drilled, and smokes well. Quality is much much better than the Grand Duke, and is definitely worth a look at.
I probably wont smoke the Grand Duke that much, it's just too small for me, I would just use my cob if i wanted a shorter smoke. SO, if anyone would like to make a review of THEIR thoughts of the Grand Duke, PM me "I'd like to review it!" and i'll send you the Grnad Duke. First person gets it!
Thanks again BigVan for giving me the opportunity to to a review on these two pipes. Now if you don't mind, I would like to keep the Parker pipe. I just absolutely love this pipe!
Thanks for reading!

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Btw this is my first pipe review, any advice, tips or comment are more then welcome :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It was my intent that you should keep what you like and pass on what you don't. So PLEASE keep the Parker and enjoy it in good health.
It sounds like we're in agreement about both of the pipes.
I like the Savinelli, too! It looks like you have at least two GREAT pipes!

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thank you very much! I will pass on the Grand Duke and see what they think of it.
Yes, I'm slowly adding some nice smokers to my rotation!

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Very good review rd02sir. I had forgotten about bigvan's original review, im glad to see someone got the pipes and followed up. This was a pretty cool concept to me. I own 1 Dr. Grabow pipe, an Omega, and experience a lot of the same issues as with that Grand Duke used for the review. Pipe is too heavy for its size, very small chamber, ugly rustication, bit is large and clunky etc. With so many decent pipes in the ~$50 range, id spend the little extra and get something nicer. Sorry Dr. G :?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My Dr. G. Savoy is part of my regular rotation. For the money my Wellington (both are bent billiards, about the same size) has nicer workmanship, is lighter and smokes a little better. The big difference is you can get the Grabow at any Walgreens or CVS store in your neighborhood. The Wellington I bought online, while asleep (some of you are familiar with that story). Both cost around $35. The reason I smoke the Savoy more is mainly that I know it can take abuse and I don't have to walk far to replace it and it really isn't a bad smoke. I usually need one relight toward the bottom if I fill it all the way.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
A Savoy and a Viscount are in my regular rotation. Neither are filter pipes.
Both are actually quite handsome pipes, and smoke like champs.
A CDL is in my larger rotation (about once or twice a month). It is a filter pipe, but the stem design is such that the draw is not wide open minus the filter. It also smokes quite well.
My Series 11 pipe looks nice, but smokes poorly, due to it being a filter pipe with that wide open draw when one is not in place.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Nice reviews. I love The Sav you got, and the Parker has a nice rustication to it.I've got a Willard that is almost identical to your Grabow. Its got a stinger though instead of a filter. the stinger screws into the shank.I like the Grabow Alpha. My mom works at Rite Aid and they sell Grabows. When I get some Cash I might have her buy me an Alpha. If she does and she uses her rewards card she get $5 off her next purchase. Other Rite Aids might do this as well heck to see if they do. It would be worth it. You could get money off your next purchase there.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks for the positive words!
I forgot to mention:
Here, in Ontario Canada at least, pipes and tobacco are not available at drug stores, nor grocery stores. Only a select few corner stores carries no name el-cheap-o plastic or cobs. Grabows are not readily available unless at a smoke shop.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Grand Duke would not be my first choice if I was going to buy a new Grabow. I'd be looking for a Royalton,Golden Duke,Savoy or a Cardinal. The Grand Duke,Lark and the plain Duke, are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to Grabows. I do have several Grand Dukes,although they are the older pipes with rubber stems,in my rotation. The Royalton,Golden Duke ,Savoy and Cardinals are usually bigger than the Grand Dukes etc. You will not however find any really large Grabows. For larger sizes you need to look at the estate pipes,but if you are not familiar with them it can be hard to tell if it is a larger pipe.Most Hillcrests are larger pipes.In The 1960's to early 90's Grabow produced pipes in about 70 shapes in over a dozen lines in several different finishes. That's where you will find the really good ones. I do have several newer pipes,but most are older pipes from the 30's through early 90's
OH, that thick bit can be fixed with a file,sandpaper and a buffer! 8O

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Ejames- yeah i could file, sand and buff, but I don't have the equipment. Besides, it should have came from the factory already smoothed down.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think everyone should at least try a Dr. G. They have been a fixture in the lives of so many pipe smokers for so long that you are trying out a piece of history. You aren't out much money either. If you don't like it, you can always gift it to a new pipe smoker.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
My first was a Dr. G i would still have it if it hadn't fallen off the dock i was fishing on. it sank like a rock and one thing for sure take the filter out. gag.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
You will not however find any really large Grabows.
Not true. The local "Smoker Friendly" near my house carries several pipes from Dr. Grabow's "Big Pipe" line. The bowls on these are huge but they look a little awkward and they cost around $50 so I took a pass when I saw them.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames- yeah i could file, sand and buff, but I don't have the equipment. Besides, it should have came from the factory already smoothed down.
The newer Grabow stems are made from ABS plastic which is of course softer than vulcanite. If they were made as thin as most vulcanite stems they would be very easy to leave tooth marks in. The reason they have a rectangular airway is so there is enough cross section to provide a good draw and have plenty material above the airway to provide strength. I have yet to see one that wasn't "smoothed down" and shiny from the factory.
Not true. The local "Smoker Friendly" near my house carries several pipes from Dr. Grabow's "Big Pipe" line. The bowls on these are huge but they look a little awkward and they cost around $50 so I took a pass when I saw them.
I forgot about the "Big Pipe". Technically,they aren't Grabows, even though they come from the same factory. They ain't stamped Dr. Grabow. And according to what they told us during a tour of the factory,they don't consider them Grabows.
Edit--I don't suppose that store has any of the smooth "Blonde" Big pipes do they? I've been looking for one.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Here are my two favorite Grabows. A Savoy (top) and Viscount Adjustomatic.
grabowone.jpg

grabowtwo.jpg

please note neither were prettied up for the camera, i just pulled them off the rack.
Neither are filter pipes, both are well put together and crafted for a "machine pipe".
Both smoke, I promise you, FAR better than that drug store blister pack monstrosity you bought.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I bought the Savoy, IIRC, off of Ebay. Maybe $10-15.
I got the Viscount, unsmoked, off of LoneStar on this forum for a very reasonable sum. Less than you paid for the blister pack.
I traded for an unsmoked CDL with Ejames.
Basically, there are very good Grabows available for very good prices. You don't even necessarily have to be all that educated on Grabows, if you don't mind asking for a little help / suggestions on what you see out there on the market.
No, the above Grabows do not compare to many of the high end pipes. But they smoke far better than a cob, and as well as most mid-range pipes at over twice the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.