PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
IMG_4782.jpeg

One of the more photogenic mushrooms found on our weekly hikes! I don’t have an eye for photography and mostly just take pictures of the plants and mushrooms we find for identification and cataloguing purposes, but I thought this one turned out rather nicely by accident. It roughly follows the rule of thirds and has some nice foreground-background symmetry. My girlfriend and I call each other Little Mushroom and Big Mushroom, so we found this fungal couple very touching!

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Old Glory on my porch early this chilly morning. Just a straight shot with a broken lens, no photoshop involved.
Your broken lens is adding a great effect to the out-of-focus areas. (Or it has interesting bokeh, if you prefer.) I know people who look for ways to make images like that.

Broken or not, it should be fun to play with that effect.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Your broken lens is adding a great effect to the out-of-focus areas. (Or it has interesting bokeh, if you prefer.) I know people who look for ways to make images like that.

Broken or not, it should be fun to play with that effect.
Ok, here's the set up I'm currently using for this shot. Olympus Pen E-p5, Nikon-4/3 adapter, Nikon t-mount adapter, and a Higon 35mm f3.5 preset lens. I bought the lens as used back in the mid 1970s from a camera shop in Battle Creek MI for $12. I had no idea that it was optically screwed up, but was delighted with the results, that can be varied by using the aperture ring. My wife used to use it a lot, first on film cameras then on a Nikon D90.
7E84C1CC-EC84-4A57-A22B-4014EEDC151D_1_201_a.jpeg

Here's an example of one of her photos; a shot of a part of a Christmas tree from about 6 years ago. I don't know what the optical problem is called but it's been fun.
751D43D3-5036-4C72-82E3-9891D08E52E7_1_201_a.jpeg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Old Glory on my porch early this chilly morning. Just a straight shot with a broken lens, no photoshop involved.
Some may like the jarring effect, no order to the lack of focus. I prefer to try as much as possible to get the effect I'm looking for in the original shot, limiting my post-production as much as possible, if at all. A busted up lens simply limits my options to whatever occurs, point and shoot as it were. Not point of sharp focus that I see. Interesting results but, well ... not to my tastes. I want a "purpose" for every capture.

I hope I'm not being to harsh here. I think every one should shoot what they like and/or. in my case, what might sell.