PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Former Canon guy here. I say former only because I haven't pulled out my gear in over a year. iPhone too good for a lot of shots, but can't come close for really good images.
Best Canon lens was stolen, something like 200-300 ƒ 2.8 ish? Any was replaced it with the cheaper model.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Former Canon guy here. I say former only because I haven't pulled out my gear in over a year. iPhone too good for a lot of shots, but can't come close for really good images.
Best Canon lens was stolen, something like 200-300 ƒ 2.8 ish? Any was replaced it with the cheaper model.
I have debated over the years with myself about getting a "real" camera since I enjoy taking and editing pics so much via iPhone. To dip a toe in the pool, I ended up getting an external lens that attaches to the iPhone and takes things up several notches quality-wise. What I realized, though, is that having to attach that camera lens usually ruined the moment, and by the time I had it attached, whatever I wanted to get a pic of was gone. I got rid of the lens because I never used it.

Capturing images via phone camera is all about being in the moment. The "lines" pic I posted above is a good example. It's nowhere near the quality of what BarrelProof posted, but I just happened to be playing my guitar in the morning light and noticed those lines/shadows; next thing I know I grab the phone and there is a pretty cool pic as a result. If I had a real camera, I'd have needed to have it handy, or go get it, and likely would have lost the moment.

Anyway, for many years back in the day I'd see images all over the place in daily life and wish I had a camera to try and capture the moment. The iPhone camera has been a real treasure for me in this way. I'm sure it's true for millions of others. It probably irritates *real* photographers but such attitudes exist in many areas and disciplines.

Reactions: JOHN72 and UB 40

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyway, for many years back in the day I'd see images all over the place in daily life and wish I had a camera to try and capture the moment. The iPhone camera has been a real treasure for me in this way. I'm sure it's true for millions of others. It probably irritates *real* photographers but such attitudes exist in many areas and disciplines.
The best camera is the one you have with you.

I love the fact that easy access to cameras has allowed so many talented artists to create great work. (AI will be the next big thing in this area.)

G

Gimlet

I don't like taking pictures with a phone. The ergonomics are not designed for it and I like a view finder I can put to my eye.
I need to get a digital SLR. Digital is a boon but part of the fun with film cameras was seeing the images come to life in the developing room or the anticipation of collecting your films from the chemists.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The joy of the developing/printing room are gone for most photographers, but judicious use of post controls for exposure, white balance, contrast, tint, and on and on can be interesting.

As far as "real photographers" getting irritated over easy-take digital images, no doubt some are, but most have made the transition to digital and carry on with skills. It's the latter that makes a great photographer, skills. Well, and perseverance, and sometimes luck.

Reactions: JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And, the photographer's "eye"!

Learning how differently light is handled by software, different than widely variable emulsion films, and digital began to capture images close to Kodachrome 64, I made the switch. The younger generations only "know" digital and love the immediacy of seeing the captured image on the screen.

Two different worlds. Both with their pluses and minuses. Even in "film" days the media varied widely from company to company and, even the offerings from the same company. And, I know of know "film" which could cover the "range" quality glass was able to capture. Some images only "worked" in BW. Others, color. Some planned shots needed a certain speed and emulsion.

Most working photographers carry a phone or other "grab" camera. Also, they work to capture the essence of a scene as they interpret it. Why get irritated over "snapshots"? Sometimes such can also capture a scene with beauty and/or distinction. I never begrudge any shooter a great shot!

But, a great shot depends on the photographer's eye. And phone camera may be the only tool available for a "once in a lifetime" shot. If that what you got? Take the shot!

A bit of a warning. It's best to have a lotta glass when shooting a bear in the wild! bdw A lotta glass. Big, heavy glass that's a pain in the butt to haul into the wilds. That's the big difference between a serious shooter and a casual photographer simply capturing the sights.

Reactions: jpmcwjr