PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Welcome! What's the pipe tobacco scene like in SA? Are you able to get many of the blends that are available in the US and EU?

Reactions: Bles

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
My Name is Rick and I am from Pretoria, South Africa.
I collect and refurbish estate pipes for my enjoyment. I developed a liking for English and Balkan blends and lately started enjoying Virginia tobacco and Vabur blends.
I'm looking forward to being part of this forum.
Thank you for having me.

Groetnis
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Bles

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2024
Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA
Welcome! What's the pipe tobacco scene like in SA? Are you able to get many of the blends that are available in the US and EU?
Thank you Sir. It all depends where in South Africa one stays. If you live close to the cities, the tobacco scene looks much brighter than for those staying in the more rural or platteland areas (small towns). I'm staying in Pretoria, one of the main cities in South Africa. Peterson tobaccos like Early Morning, Night Cap Mixture 965, and a lot of aromatic blends are easily available. Also close to me but nearer to Johannesburg we have a tobacconist called Puff and Groom who sells quite a few Samuel Gawith blends. We are also fortunate for Wesley's tobacconist in Rosebank, Johannesburg where the late Collin Wesley was an excellent tobacco mixer who spend quite some time abroad to study and research the art of blending tobaccos. Fortunately his wife continues with his legacy by running the store and continue selling their house blends. They blend some pretty good tobacco in my humble opinion.
There are also quite a few other Tobacconists blending their own house blends. I regularly order from Parys Tobacconist in the Free State province his house blends which are couriered within a day or two to where I stay Excellent stuff.
Then we also have your normal grocery stores selling Borkum Riff, Holland House, Fox, Jock and Boxer ect.
Then ordering from abroad is also possible although the exchange rate is not worth the effort.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thank you Sir. It all depends where in South Africa one stays. If you live close to the cities, the tobacco scene looks much brighter than for those staying in the more rural or platteland areas (small towns). I'm staying in Pretoria, one of the main cities in South Africa. Peterson tobaccos like Early Morning, Night Cap Mixture 965, and a lot of aromatic blends are easily available. Also close to me but nearer to Johannesburg we have a tobacconist called Puff and Groom who sells quite a few Samuel Gawith blends. We are also fortunate for Wesley's tobacconist in Rosebank, Johannesburg where the late Collin Wesley was an excellent tobacco mixer who spend quite some time abroad to study and research the art of blending tobaccos. Fortunately his wife continues with his legacy by running the store and continue selling their house blends. They blend some pretty good tobacco in my humble opinion.
There are also quite a few other Tobacconists blending their own house blends. I regularly order from Parys Tobacconist in the Free State province his house blends which are couriered within a day or two to where I stay Excellent stuff.
Then we also have your normal grocery stores selling Borkum Riff, Holland House, Fox, Jock and Boxer ect.
Then ordering from abroad is also possible although the exchange rate is not worth the effort.
Glad to hear that you’ve got a great amount of blend options available to you. Hopefully you don’t get taxed as heavily as the other Commonwealth countries.