Hi from Walden. Born and Raised in Newburgh, NY.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!
Been a pipe smoker since my time in service during the Vietnam War. Capt. Black was my only tobacco for years until I found tobacco shops that sold even better blends after my discharge. I can't help but sucking on a stem, listening to music on my MP3 while fishing or making fishing lures while sipping a cup o' 8 O'clock blend freshly ground coffee. Peace & Quiet. ahhhhhh.

Nice to see so much sharing of information - of which I'll need plenty!

Reactions: senkosam

senkosam

Lurker
Dec 2, 2023
Walden, N.Y.
Welcome from Oregon. Thank you for your service sir.
The choices I had: get drafted into the army or enlisting and being able to choose which branch. I chose the latter. 4.5 years went by fast and to this day I'll always wonder if I should have stayed in as a career.

My first experience smoking a pipe was while I was in the Air Force after smelling a buddy's aromatic pipe smoke. Tried a cigarette and after choking on one would never light another. Glad I made the right choice. Probably one reason I got to live to the age of 74.

AngueraCoyra

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Brasília, Brazil
Been a pipe smoker since my time in service during the Vietnam War. Capt. Black was my only tobacco for years until I found tobacco shops that sold even better blends after my discharge. I can't help but sucking on a stem, listening to music on my MP3 while fishing or making fishing lures while sipping a cup o' 8 O'clock blend freshly ground coffee. Peace & Quiet. ahhhhhh.

Nice to see so much sharing of information - of which I'll need plenty!
Welcome friend! Peace and quiet, yes, it's what it's all about.

Would you mind telling me a bit more about your army years?

Last edited:
Reactions: senkosam

senkosam

Lurker
Dec 2, 2023
Walden, N.Y.
Would you mind telling me a bit more about your army years?

My first experience smoking a pipe was while I was in the Air Force
After basic, I went to school to train in a medical specialty and had orders for Vietnam as soon as I graduated. After waiting on the base for 5 days, the orders to ship out were canceled. New ones were issued sending me to Sheppard AFB, near Wichita Falls, Tx.
Enlistment is usually 4 yrs., but I wanted to quality to take the American Registry test in my specialty so I could easily get a job anywhere after I got discharged. The deal I made for getting more training, extended my tour 6 mos. and was well worth it!

I got my 4th stripe in my 4th year which was also the year my first child was born. Texas tornados are amazing to watch and I witnessed 2 of them - one that came close to the hospital I was working in at the time. (Would have loved to have lit up to settle my nerves after seeing that huge funnel of Texas dust not knowing which direction it was moving, but left my pipe at home.) It did a lot of damage just to the north to a small town called Burkburnett.

Capt. Black (white bag) was all I smoked in my Carey pipe and it was aromatic and smooth. It's changed. :( ...or I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottmi

senkosam

Lurker
Dec 2, 2023
Walden, N.Y.
I wish I was able to contribute help and suggestions, but though I've smoked pipes for many years, I consider myself a novice. I miss my old sources of good pipe tobacco that went out of business years ago. Out of habit, smoking helps pass the time - especially with a good cup a coffee. With your help, my smoking perfection will happen again.

(note to myself: edit as soon as possible since not much time is allotted.)