PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never had one catch my eye. Even a thin stain of black, allowing the grain to show through, simply doesn't appeal. Being an amateur woodworker I guess I want to see wood grain in my briars. Even an all black bent with proper proportions is unattractive to my, wonder what flaws may be hidden away. Doesn't matter the color even. A solid colored pipe just doesn't interest me.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
There's an attractive austere simplicity to the all-black pipe, whether it's a blast with a shiny black stem, or a polished smooth ebony with maybe two slender bands. On the other hand, I'd hate to look at my cabinet and racks and see only the color black staring back at me. I am grateful for lighter stains and brighter and various-colored stems as well. I'd miss my entirely black pipes if I didn't have them, but it would be monotonous if that were all I had. How are you with all black pipes?
I like the way the Dunhill “ dressed” finish looks , but I won’t be dropping upwards of $500 on a pipe till I at least find a few more blends that deserve that kind of vessel. Working on it diligently …

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have a few and find I rarely reach for them. Everytime I blast a pipe I consider making it all black, but the grain is always just too nice to hide. I know it appeals to some but there's always something more interesting than the clean aesthetic.
Simplicity in black. Svelte and slender.

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I just restored a Rosenson that came in black. The stinger had come loose from the stem and was lodged in the stummel. It's jet black, but reflects brown. When I acquired it the stem was green and I suspect it might be difficult to maintain an all-black pipe due to oxidation.
20220713_154920209_iOS.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Tsuge all black straight billiard with an extra light blast. It is sold as a tasting pipe, and I got it on a steep discount, but I like the subtlety of the blast, and the workmanship is way above this price point. I thought it would be a sampling pipe with a small chamber, but it is closer to a Group 5.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Have always liked Dunhill Shell briar straight Apple or Billiard. Also have a Tsuge 21 Tasting all black straight Billiard. Really nicely finished for its price like MSO said, but for some reason it's not one of my favorite smokers?

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I love black pipes - particularly smooth ones and have a number of them in my collection including a Dunhill Dress billiard, a Castello La Perla Nera Apple and a really cool flat black finish Brebbia that I’ve never seen anywhere else?? The glossy black on my Peterson Killarney black pipes doesn’t hold up as well - showing an occasional bubble or chip, but overall I think dress pipes as a class are refined and definitely compliment more formal attire - which I find myself in with some regularity. BTW - the Dunhill Dress pipes are stained, and as they cross the 2-decade mark - or under bright light - start to brown/purple out just a touch revealing their grain. My 1980’s Group 3 Dress billiard is more ebony/rosewood (think guitar fretboard) than jet black - and yet still contrasts nicely with the subtle silver band.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I might actually prefer a black coated pipe more than seeing the wood grain.
Many posters write about how grain isn’t that important right. Then, many of these same posters seem to infer that the black is hiding the grain and possibly defects. Which is it? I really don’t understand this bias against black. Black is Beautiful. Right?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I have a Tsuge all black straight billiard with an extra light blast. It is sold as a tasting pipe, and I got it on a steep discount, but I like the subtlety of the blast, and the workmanship is way above this price point. I thought it would be a sampling pipe with a small chamber, but it is closer to a Group 5.
I'm a big fan of my Tasting 16 stack. I'd like to get the billiard and pot shapes in the same line. Great pipes for the money.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It occurred to me that I do have an all black pipe—it looks cheap, because it is—The Pipe! It’s my dedicated Lakeland pipe because I figure the pyrolytic graphite bowl liner is less likely to ghost than any other pipe material.

IMG_20220314_045508.jpg

I’m not sure the Big Ben Nosewarmer would be considered all black because of the metal accent:

IMG_20220208_013619.jpg

That’s why I also ruled out the two Peterson Ebony Spigots because of all the silver, but, I see others have included pipes that weren't completely black:

IMG_20211221_005336.jpg

IMG_20211220_223320.jpg

I may as well include the Darth Vader pipe because he was so badass—at least until the prequels turned him into a whiny wimp.

IMG_20220509_104945.jpg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It occurred to me that I do have an all black pipe—it looks cheap, because it is—The Pipe! It’s my dedicated Lakeland pipe because I figure the pyrolytic graphite bowl liner is less likely to ghost than any other pipe material.

View attachment 156710

I’m not sure the Big Ben Nosewarmer would be considered all black because of the metal accent:

View attachment 156711

That’s why I also ruled out the two Peterson Ebony Spigots because of all the silver, but, I see others have included pipes that weren't completely black:

View attachment 156712

View attachment 156713

I may as well include the Darth Vader pipe because he was so badass—at least until the prequels turned him into a whiny wimp.

View attachment 156716
Dark Helmut of Spaceballs :
1657761617387.png

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Reading through this post reminded me that I have quite a few all black pipes besides the Dunhill Dress pipe. A castello sea rock, LJ Peretti, Orlik Supreme, Stanwell, Dunhill LBS, and many others that I didn’t even think of reading the OP. For some reason the discussion of “black pipe” only conjured up thoughts of my dress pipe. I think because it is the only smooth black pipe I have.

Reactions: stogie37