How Come We Don't See Counterfeit Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's pretty rare, but it does happen. About 7 - 8 years ago, a seller on eBay put up an obviously fake Jess Chonowitsch, bulbous and badly shaped, with a split, and the stamp crooked. A number of us contacted eBay about the fake, including some prominent members of the larger pipe community. Of course, eBay did nothing and some sucker bought the dingus for $8300. The same seller also put up some fake Eltangs. Eltang was contacted and he declared the pipes fakes and contacted ebay. They did nothing and the pipes sold.
The seller eventually disappeared from eBay.

The End...

It's rare because there's very little money in it. You have to go for the high hanging fruit to make passing fakes to worth the effort.
and if you can make a good copy that would pass, you can make more money being open about it. A Dunhill or Eltang equivalent sold for less then the real deal but at new price is probably more then a fake at used prices

rugnrollseo

Lurker
May 24, 2024
Counterfeit products are a significant issue in many industries, from luxury goods to electronics, but counterfeit pipes—such as those used in plumbing or industrial applications—are relatively rare. This rarity can be attributed to several factors. First, the market for pipes is not as lucrative or glamorous as that for high-end fashion or consumer electronics, making it less attractive to counterfeiters. Additionally, pipes often need to meet stringent industry standards and regulations due to their critical roles in infrastructure and safety. Producing counterfeit pipes that can pass these standards requires significant investment in materials and manufacturing processes, reducing the potential profit margin for counterfeiters. Moreover, the distribution and sale of pipes usually involve established suppliers and contractors who have trusted relationships with manufacturers, making it harder for counterfeit products to penetrate the market. Finally, the use of serial numbers, certifications, and other forms of traceability in the pipe industry further deters counterfeiting by making it easier to verify the authenticity of products.

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It did make a valid point:

"Additionally, pipes often need to meet stringent industry standards and regulations due to their critical roles in infrastructure and safety."
Those are definitely important aspects that I place a high value on when purchasing a pipe. If I don't look after me, who will?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Counterfeit products are a significant issue in many industries, from luxury goods to electronics, but counterfeit pipes—such as those used in plumbing or industrial applications—are relatively rare. This rarity can be attributed to several factors. First, the market for pipes is not as lucrative or glamorous as that for high-end fashion or consumer electronics, making it less attractive to counterfeiters. Additionally, pipes often need to meet stringent industry standards and regulations due to their critical roles in infrastructure and safety. Producing counterfeit pipes that can pass these standards requires significant investment in materials and manufacturing processes, reducing the potential profit margin for counterfeiters. Moreover, the distribution and sale of pipes usually involve established suppliers and contractors who have trusted relationships with manufacturers, making it harder for counterfeit products to penetrate the market. Finally, the use of serial numbers, certifications, and other forms of traceability in the pipe industry further deters counterfeiting by making it easier to verify the authenticity of products.
FYI, do this again, and you get tossed.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I should mention, Rolex fakes that cost high hundreds of pounds are frighteningly good copies - the only clues are in the balance wheel assembly and the fact that they tend to be a bit grubby inside. Nothing is sacred in the luxury goods market any more; caveat emptor.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
One other point, unrelated to the AI humorist...

Status has been discussed here, how luxe goods that convey a perceived status value are often counterfeited. What hasn't been mentioned is that the buyers of most luxe goods are often not as concerned about quality as they are abut the perception of quality. They will buy a fake, even a bad fake, knowing full well that it is bogus. A quick glance at a bogus Channel bag won't let the cat out of it, and the buyer knows that.

But buyers of high-end pipes are quality-driven. They appreciate the aesthetics and workmanship far more than the value as a status symbol. So if you are going to counterfeit a high-end pipe, you are going to have to do a damned good job of it, or your market is going to be exceedingly limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThermionicScott

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I believe the reasons have been said in this thread, so ill just add this....
Ive noticed on ebay and such there are some Chinese companies making pipes that resemble name brand pipes and pipes in shapes that are usually expensive. They seem to be made from briar and acrylic. These are NOT the $8 rosewood pipes with metal inserts. They are real briar pipes and from several anecdotal accounts, not too bad. :)
Ive seen pipes that LOOK like Peterson system pipes for $45.
I saw a Blowfish shape pipe for $29.
Peterson Spigot pipes for $30.
They make all shapes and sizes for under $50 shipped.
I will never know if they are any good, im not in the market.

Reactions: Alejo R.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
One of my other interests is watches, and it seems like in that world, counterfeiting is the name of the game. For every real Rolex, there are probably thousands of fake ones. By faked, I mean watches that have a Rolex name on them, but nothing else. There are also 'homage' watches, which look like another brand, but dont carry their name.

It got me to thinking that I don't think I've ever come across a counterfeit pipe. I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't see many threads about someone buying a pipe with Peterson stamped on it, and fi ding out it is something else. I'm sure it has happened, and happens, but not nearly as widespread as I would think.

Why?

Is is because the potential pool of customers is smaller?

With the growing importance of the Chinese market, I wonder how long before it does become more widespread.

Just my 2 cents.
My dude, no one knows pipe smoking is even a thing except the people who smoke pipes. No ones taking the time to do that, esp when there are things much more easy to counterfeit, like Cuban Cigars for example. This a dying art.