PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
As someone with a sensitive mouth, and who has had similar struggles, I suggest trying some straight burleys, especially ones with minimal casings/toppings. Some people are sensitive to virginias and even orientals. The straight burleys like c&d’s are not to everybody’s liking, but it will at least let you see if your problem is chemical.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My own experience may not be yours, but it might help. I had my biggest problem with tongue bite with flavored tobacco, aromatics. I had one holiday blend flavored with cinnamon and spice that burnt like crazy. When I went to entirely non-aromatic, that helped. Later, I found I could smoke tobacco-forward aromatics with light flavoring, but leave that for later, I'd suggest. A glass of water will coat your mouth and reduce bite. Slow way down, and sip don't puff, lengthen your cadence.

I don't think timing a bowl will help. So much depends on how you smoke, and if you are indoors or outdoors, and especially on the cut and blend, and so on. Slow down.

Also, you can smoke a partial bowl, or smoke a full bowl intermittently, with breaks of an hour or a day, to see if that helps. You could try a filtered pipe, if you have one. You can always leave the filter out later. You can smoke a filter pipe without a filter or adaptor, and most smoke just fine.

I agree, let your mouth heal, and try again, cautious, judiciously. You may become more sensitive to flavors if you aren't smoking so hard.

Reactions: Coreios
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I had a lot trouble with bite early on as I think most people do, I found that certain tobaccos were more prone to bite than others for sure but it was mostly technique. My ah-ha moment was when I tried Carter Hall and found that it didn't bite me near as bad as most others. When I found I could smoke it on a regular basis without any bite I started going back and revisiting other tobaccos that had bitten me in the past. They no longer bit me because I had developed my technique. My point is find a tobacco that agrees with you and smoke it till you have devolved a good routine then start going back to other baccys. Another thing new pipers often struggle with is how dry your tobacco should be, its drier than you'd think. However your drying it now try drying it a little more, keep adjusting incrementally until its too dry. You'll know when its too dry.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
let your mouth heal. That's big. When I used to get bite I'd have to lay off the pipe for a little bit. It's weird how quickly it heals when you leave it alone, however if you don't you're doing the equivalent of picking a scab. If you smoke with bite everything will bite a little bit. After it heals, which you can test with drinks orange juice will taste real freaking weird if the bite is still there. Sodas including seltzer types feel off on your tongue if it's still healing. If after that you are still getting the bite then you really need to try different blends. Some just do that.
Oh and how long have you been smoking a pipe? I think something in the body adjusts. If I accidentally smoke like I did at the beginning in a way that would give me serious bite, I will get a quarter of the nastiness I did before. Something adjusts in your body. Also noticed that I don't salivate when I smoke a pipe the way I used too (which backs up the out there theory that tongue bite is similar to an allergy, the body over protecting it's self and causing it's self annoyance and harm).
Aside from that the only thing I'd like to see is your relights. I've personally found that to be the time where bite is most possible. Soft flames, zippos, matches, or even regular butane with the right technique will reduce that. I personally can not use a bic to light a pipe unless I am indoors and away from any chance of sudden gusts. When I get mild bite it's more often then not from a lazy thoughtless light job.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I had a lot trouble with bite early on as I think most people do, I found that certain tobaccos were more prone to bite than others for sure but it was mostly technique. My ah-ha moment was when I tried Carter Hall and found that it didn't bite me near as bad as most others. When I found I could smoke it on a regular basis without any bite I started going back and revisiting other tobaccos that had bitten me in the past. They no longer bit me because I had developed my technique. My point is find a tobacco that agrees with you and smoke it till you have devolved a good routine then start going back to other baccys. Another thing new pipers often struggle with is how dry your tobacco should be, its drier than you'd think. However your drying it now try drying it a little more, keep adjusting incrementally until its too dry. You'll know when its too dry.
my suggestion with how much to dry is get a tin open it smoke it once. Leave the tin closed but seal broken for 1 week. Smoke one pipe a day letting it dry out along the way. Pay attention to how dry the tobacco is each time. Or do what I did leave a tin in the cellar because you forgot you still had it, or more accurately forgot that you opened it go for a smoke and think you ruined it and realize how much more enjoyable and easy to handle the smoke turned out to be.

Depth of the bowl x height + dryness of the tobacco + tightness of the pack-> Oxygen -> CO2+H@O
1669836112681.png
Equation GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

SmokeRings79

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2021
Israel
As someone with a sensitive mouth, and who has had similar struggles, I suggest trying some straight burleys, especially ones with minimal casings/toppings. Some people are sensitive to virginias and even orientals. The straight burleys like c&d’s are not to everybody’s liking, but it will at least let you see if your problem is chemical.
I agree. You can try Amphora Burley blend. Maybe you are sensitive to VA.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
My own experience may not be yours, but it might help. I had my biggest problem with tongue bite with flavored tobacco, aromatics. I had one holiday blend flavored with cinnamon and spice that burnt like crazy. When I went to entirely non-aromatic, that helped.

This was my experience, as well. In the beginning, I always had issues with aros, but never with my English blends. Now that I’m more experienced, aromatics are occasionally back on the menu.

Reactions: Coreios and FLDRD

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
let your mouth heal. That's big. When I used to get bite I'd have to lay off the pipe for a little bit. It's weird how quickly it heals when you leave it alone, however if you don't you're doing the equivalent of picking a scab. If you smoke with bite everything will bite a little bit. After it heals, which you can test with drinks orange juice will taste real freaking weird if the bite is still there. Sodas including seltzer types feel off on your tongue if it's still healing. If after that you are still getting the bite then you really need to try different blends. Some just do that.
Oh and how long have you been smoking a pipe? I think something in the body adjusts. If I accidentally smoke like I did at the beginning in a way that would give me serious bite, I will get a quarter of the nastiness I did before. Something adjusts in your body. Also noticed that I don't salivate when I smoke a pipe the way I used too (which backs up the out there theory that tongue bite is similar to an allergy, the body over protecting it's self and causing it's self annoyance and harm).
Aside from that the only thing I'd like to see is your relights. I've personally found that to be the time where bite is most possible. Soft flames, zippos, matches, or even regular butane with the right technique will reduce that. I personally can not use a bic to light a pipe unless I am indoors and away from any chance of sudden gusts. When I get mild bite it's more often then not from a lazy thoughtless light job.
I smoke in doors. I been smoking about a year. But bite has been a big problem so I kept adjusting bought better pipes reading watching YouTube. Nothings really helped yet. I was smoking cigars for decades. I went back to cigars for a few days and I had lost interest in it. I love the loose draw I can get on a pipe and the flavors are in my opinion a lot better or if nothing else new to me. So I went back to the pipe got burnt again I just dont want to stop. I do relight a lot on the pipe I showed above. I tried slowing down to like one sip every 2 or 3 minutes and it goes out. I microwaved the tobacco before smoking it like 15 seconds that has helped a lot, not quite enough though. I have switched to English blends Sutliff Match of Revelation, Early Morning, and Barking dog. I absolutely love all those blends and they aren't as bitey as the other aros I smoked before. Still though I'm bitten.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Reactions: PipeIT

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
my suggestion with how much to dry is get a tin open it smoke it once. Leave the tin closed but seal broken for 1 week. Smoke one pipe a day letting it dry out along the way. Pay attention to how dry the tobacco is each time. Or do what I did leave a tin in the cellar because you forgot you still had it, or more accurately forgot that you opened it go for a smoke and think you ruined it and realize how much more enjoyable and easy to handle the smoke turned out to be.
Will try!

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
40 minutes with reasonably dry, ribbon cut tobacco would be pretty good for that pipe I think. If the bowl isn't getting too hot, I doubt that you're smoking too fast. Perhaps the tongue bite is a chemical reaction, not burn. Try changing to a different blend type. Take off a few days and let your tongue heal fully. Then start slow and work your way back.
+1
There are a manufacturers that I can't buy anything from because virtually everything I have tried from them gives me tongue bite. Whereas a few other manufacturers I can smoke anything. I really do think it's a chemical thing for me and maybe for you as well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I smoke in doors. I been smoking about a year. But bite has been a big problem so I kept adjusting bought better pipes reading watching YouTube. Nothings really helped yet. I was smoking cigars for decades. I went back to cigars for a few days and I had lost interest in it. I love the loose draw I can get on a pipe and the flavors are in my opinion a lot better or if nothing else new to me. So I went back to the pipe got burnt again I just dont want to stop. I do relight a lot on the pipe I showed above. I tried slowing down to like one sip every 2 or 3 minutes and it goes out. I microwaved the tobacco before smoking it like 15 seconds that has helped a lot, not quite enough though. I have switched to English blends Sutliff Match of Revelation, Early Morning, and Barking dog. I absolutely love all those blends and they aren't as bitey as the other aros I smoked before. Still though I'm bitten.
you like the lose draw? Maybe you're packing too loosely that can make it burn a bit hotter in my experience. Not for sure what's going on but certainly a possiblity.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
+1
There are a manufacturers that I can't buy anything from because virtually everything I have tried from them gives me tongue bite. Whereas a few other manufacturers I can smoke anything. I really do think it's a chemical thing for me and maybe for you as well.

you like the lose draw? Maybe you're packing too loosely that can make it burn a bit hotter in my experience. Not for sure what's going on but certainly a possiblity.

I do like a loose draw. Like a soda straw is a hair to tight to me. Id still smoke it and enjoy it but anything tighter than a soda draw would begin to annoy me. But, I saw a guy on here saying looser packs were cooler smokes so I ruled that out as the problem. Maybe I shouldnt have.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I have the same pipe and have been smoking Sutliff Vanilla D40. 40 minutes seems about right, so I doubt you are smoking too fast. I would think a loose draw would tend to encourage tongue bite though just by the relative ease in which you can pull in the hot smoke. Even if you aren't smoking fast you can still burn your tongue with just one hot draw.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I have the same pipe and have been smoking Sutliff Vanilla D40. 40 minutes seems about right, so I doubt you are smoking too fast. I would think a loose draw would tend to encourage tongue bite though just by the relative ease in which you can pull in the hot smoke. Even if you aren't smoking fast you can still burn your tongue with just one hot draw.
I have the Sutliff Vanilla as well. I been smoking English now. But that is one I have and smoked a lot of. I didn't know one wrong puff could burn ya. Thanks for the info. I do have 1 hard hot hit occasionally. Usually on a relight. I didn't think once was enough.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I do like a loose draw. Like a soda straw is a hair to tight to me. Id still smoke it and enjoy it but anything tighter than a soda draw would begin to annoy me. But, I saw a guy on here saying looser packs were cooler smokes so I ruled that out as the problem. Maybe I shouldnt have.
too loose can contribute too a hotter smoke. Not cause but make a bit more likely.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If you are determined to keep smoking but feel like you've tried nearly everything to solve tongue bite unsuccessfully, I would honestly try a filtered pipe. In particular, a 9mm filtered pipe. Lots of options out there, and they don't need to break the bank. Charcoal filters have done wonders for me and many others with tongue bite, and allow me to work on technique more. I think Eddie (?) the The Pipe Nook recommends filtered pipes to most beginners so they can learn other essential elements without becoming discouraged always by tongue bite. You can get an adapter/reducer to put in after to go to 3mm if you discover it isn't your thing (or smoke it wide open).