PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
If I count stuff like watch city blends and couple of country squire blends I have that are only available in bulk then about 12. If not then 1 I tend to open a tin smoke my way thru it and open a another.

Reactions: Steddy

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Let's see . . .
  • Quiet Nights
  • Meridian
  • Cambridge Flake
  • Union Square
  • Old Gowrie
  • The Virginia Cream
  • 7 Seas Black
Uh, looks like seven (7), for now . . . I have been perusing the Peretti website . . . Plus, a tin of HH Pure Virginia that I have yet to open.

Reactions: Steddy

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Whenever I get a new tin in the mail the first thing I do is crack it open and transfer the tobacco into a Ball jar with a label on it, so at the moment I have... 60'ish open tins? I'm only in my second year of pipe smoking though and still figuring out what I like best, so I never have more than 1 tin worth of any particular blend and haven't started deep cellaring anything yet.

I figure in another year or so I should have a pretty solid idea of what my one or two dozen favorite blends are, then I can start deep cellaring those in sealed tins and sell off all the others currently in the jars that didn't resonate with me.

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
I use larger jars for bulk (or multiple tins of) blends that are tried and true, smaller jars for newer "to try" blends (so they are readily available for sampling in several pipes when in the mood for that), also small jars for favorite blends that have stacks of back up tins in the cellar and then there's the sealed cellar stash. However, I have very few sealed tins in the cellar that don't have some kind of jarred - available now - counterpart on the smoking shelf.

Pop it, jar it, smoke it at will. If it's amazing, buy a few more and put em away. When the jar is empty and you're jonesing for it again, pop another from the cellar and refill jar. :)

Reactions: Steddy and jpmcwjr

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have ~80 open tins in jars. These are separate from what’s in my cellar, either as sealed tins or jars with bulk. I keep a fastidious record of my cellar, but none at all of my open stuff. Life’s too short to worry about an open tin, so open it! I thoroughly enjoy rifling through my open jars if I want a bowl but don’t have a specific preference. I always run across something I forgot about.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Fairly new, and still finding my groove.
I don’t feel like counting…
The only unopened tobacco are the tins and one SG box on the bookshelf-a few to try but getting to be backups of what I’ve found I like.
The cabinet is what I smoke from routinely and most jars on bookshelf are either jarred bulk I like or other blends I’m not swooning over.

Last year, I’d have thought this was a lot but now only the wife thinks that😆IMG_0126.jpeg

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I think if you’re in the “I want to try everything” phase you should just commit and anticipate going a little nuts with a lot of open tins. I am in the tail end of this phase and it lasted over two years. I realized it was a phase that I had to go through before I could feel settled with my choices. It was/is a little crazy having all these open tins jarred up but it is better than not trying enough and wondering about what I’m missing out on.

As far as how many open tins I have jarred up, I don’t know, 60 to 120? Good luck and enjoy the process!

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Don't think me awful but I have well over 400 different blends in my cellar, some jarred, some tinned. I would guess that all combined between large jars and small ones, at least 300 I am thinking open? Too many yes, I know but I do like trying different ones. My daily regulars are just a couple per genre, however.

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
I used to have four or five some years ago. But life put in my way mason jars and a friend that is always urging me to try something new. God bless them both. I now have about 20-25 and rising. But I'd really like to get down to eight or ten.