PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
Being new to the pastime, I am definitely in the 'figuring out what I like' phase. I have about a dozen open tins that I am comparing against each other. I like learning about the different types of tobacco and how they contribute to the overall blend. I am trying not to open any more at the moment, but find it difficult to hold off as I browse these forums. :)

Reactions: FLDRD

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
100+
Tried them all , have narrowed my purchasing to stand outs only but still have 100 or so to try some I have bought 3-5 tins based on reviews and if they are not to my liking I can always sell/trade them off. Tracking down unicorns has been a lot of fun.

Reactions: FLDRD

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Being new to the pastime, I am definitely in the 'figuring out what I like' phase. I have about a dozen open tins that I am comparing against each other. I like learning about the different types of tobacco and how they contribute to the overall blend. I am trying not to open any more at the moment, but find it difficult to hold off as I browse these forums. :)
Get some jars and pop them babies open!
And don’t forget, there’s lots of really good bulk blends many many online vendors sell by as little as 1oz. That really helped me span the genres and dial in on what I like.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've got about 20 blends on the go right now. I love the idea of only having 3 or 4 or 5 jars open at a time, each from a different genre, but I've still got a lot of blends to try first. ;)
I'm up to 23 open blends now, and I'm kinda letting go of the idea of ever whittling it down to 3-5 core blends. Every so often, I think "hmm, I want to give such-and-such blend another try, but I don't have any open at the moment." So, I might just buy a lot more jars and not hurry at all to finish any particular blend. That way, I'll have a large "library" of blends I can always revisit.

Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I am in the same boat as ThermionicScott. I have three cases of 8 oz jars and a small cellar of tins. some of the jars are empty waiting for a new blend. I currently bounce around between about 20 jars without focus and I think I need to pick a jar from each blend type and smoke it until it is gone then move on to another jar of the same type of tobacco. I want to focus on pipe, packing etc. and get the most out of each blend. My goal is to not have more than four or five jars going at once.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Mar 20, 2024
I am decidedly in the early exploration phase and presently have 62 blends that have been opened and put in jars. I’ve tried 30 of them at least 3 times each (with a couple of bad exceptions) and continue my march. I thought I’d like to have 4 regulars, but I have found so many that I like that I expect it to be more like 10-20 in my regular rotation. I still buy tins once in a while, but they go straight into hiding for later. Some are new to try, others are building up stock of ones I really like.