PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you don't inhale that eliminates so many issues right there already.
Eliminates? Maybe reduces some, not all, issues but, not eliminates. Some carcinogens will make it to your lungs whether you inhale or not. One should also remember, carcinogens are not released until flame is applied to tobacco or, charcoal, firewood, tires, and so forth.

The pipe will be much more enjoyable if one happily accepts all of the attendant risks. Choices have consequences. Except 'em and enjoy. And, if the worst happens, at least in the U.S. and many other countries, you can count on your neighbors' tax dollars to cover many of the attendant health care costs. It's the best of all worlds!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m an unabashed nic addict-pipes are just my latest addition.
As to the hardware itself, most days I’m actively smoking I will do so half a dozen or so times. I’ve actually found that my briars take abuse better and provide better smokes than my cobs. The cobs are true beaters that I smoke when working around the property with animals, engines, chemicals etc.
For instance, this is my fifth smoke in my Peterson Short Army today, on its fourth day in a row of such treatment. It’s been kept company in my lunchbox rotation this week by two Kaywoodies that are 80ish years old and still kicking.
YMMV
IMG_0441.jpeg

Apr 6, 2024
Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
Eliminates? Maybe reduces some, not all, issues but, not eliminates. Some carcinogens will make it to your lungs whether you inhale or not. One should also remember, carcinogens are not released until flame is applied to tobacco or, charcoal, firewood, tires, and so forth.

The pipe will be much more enjoyable if one happily accepts all of the attendant risks. Choices have consequences. Except 'em and enjoy. And, if the worst happens, at least in the U.S. and many other countries, you can count on your neighbors' tax dollars to cover many of the attendant health care costs. It's the best of all worlds!
I may have exaggerated. SIGNIFICANTLY reduces some factors rather.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
No one can tell you how much is "Safe" since no one really knows. If you only smoke a pipe and only do it with moderation my thinking is its not too bad. Like my grandfather always said, "Something is gonna kill you". He was an ex-smoker, ex-coal miner with black lung, ex-house painter with lead paint and more. He made it to 81 and that was back in the 70's. No one knows the leaning of their genetic code.

So far as addiction: I smoke 2 or 3 bowls a day. If I dont smoke for a day or part of the day I do not notice the lack of nicotine. I smoke filter pipes most the time becuase I like the taste better, not so much because of risk. It does remove quite a bit of nasties but no one knows how much real life difference this makes. I certainly think the pipe is WAY better than sucking down cigarette smoke and the numbers APPEAR to suggset this is the case. If you have one stuck in your face all day...well, you increase risks. So proceed with care. Do what you need to do.

Reactions: revnatorade