PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I may not be smoking high NIC tobaccos (??) but have not experienced lightheadedness. If I smell chewing tobacco or dip I get dizzy. Hate cigarettes. Been an anti smoker person my entire life except for the occasional cigar on the golf course. This might be a bad habit to start for for now I am enjoying it. I will plan to keep it to only 2 bowls a day and 3-5 days a week.
Good luck.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I recently sought help from Top Addiction Treatment Centers for my addiction struggles, and I must say, my experience has been nothing short of exceptional. From the moment I reached out for assistance, their team displayed a level of professionalism and compassion that instantly put me at ease.

Talk to them about your addiction to converting oxygen into carbon dioxide.

Reactions: Bbailey324

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I am a relative newbie to the pipe, about three years. Never had a nicotine addiction. I smoked one cigar per week on average before picking up the pipe. I now smoke one bowl a day in the evening after work M-F. I smoke two to four bowls a day on the weekends depending on what is going on and the amount of nicotine in the tobacco. Two bowls per day, spaced apart, is enough for me with the strong stuff. Otherwise, I feel unwell and jittery. Nicotine cranks me up. I guess people react differently to nicotine. It relaxes some folks.

If I stay with low nicotine blends, I have an ongoing desire to smoke my pipe and relax (I am sure nicotine plays a part in this desire). If I smoke blends with more nicotine on a regular basis then the desire becomes an urge. I start thinking I need to make time in the morning before work to have a pipe. I am not a morning person, so I do not want to get into that habit. I also start to think I should bring a pipe to work and grab a smoke at lunch time. That would not be convenient. I really don't want to shotgun a bowl of Five Brothers at lunch time to get through the day, but I can see it happening if I am not careful.

I try to stick with low nicotine blends most of the time and smoke a bowl of stronger stuff when I need a kick start for a late night and on the weekends working around the house.

I rotate pipes but not sure it is necessary, especially with cobs. Just a habit I learned from the pipe forums. My dad would smoke a cob until he chewed the stem off then go to the drug store and buy another cob. He never complained. When I first started with the pipe, I bought three cobs of varying sizes to rotate.

Reactions: Carol

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
This is a 2 part inquiry.

1) How many bowls can you smoke in a day that is not considered an addiction or health risk. I know we are all different and smoke is bad but how much are you codgers smoking? I am starting to like 2 bowls in the morning and 1-2 in the evening and I am just a beginner. I think 2 because I have yet gotten a bowl to last more than 20 minutes.

2) Pipes - I heard that you should use a pipe for only a day and then rotate it. I have 2 cobs and a cheap kit pear that works. Should I use a different one for each smoke session?
1) 20 minutes! 👀. Wow. Are you smoking a small bowl?

I understand the concern. I have the same, but not necessarily for health reasons, but for control reasons. I personally don’t want anything controlling me, even things that I enjoy. So some days I smoke 1 bowl, some days 2 bowls, but I also purposely have days I don’t smoke any. This at least helps me feel like I control it, it doesn’t control me. And thus far it has helped convince me I don’t have an addiction because I’ve experienced no withdrawals or compulsive yearnings from not smoking. To each his own really. You should be at peace within yourself about what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Smoking is bad for you, so is sex and rock n' roll. Motorcycles are dangerous.

I smoke 0-10 bowls per day. My philosophy is that if I don't feel any effects if not smoking for 2-3 days, I am fine. The addiction is more for the pipe than the nicotine.
Neither sex nor rock n roll, played at a moderate volume are bad for you.

I have absolutely no sense of humor.

Apr 6, 2024
Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
I realize there is so much good info here but heres my 2 cents. I smoke as much as it compliments my lifestyle. I don't want to be a person that can't be separated from my pipe, but I love what the pipe and tobacco add to my life. I don't want my life to be utterly consumed with it, but it is a valuable part of my life. Balance. I also read in an old study that a bowl every other day is virtually the same as if you had none. As far as rotation, I give a pipe a day to dry out. Basically you don't want to saturate the pipe with moisture. A dry pipe just smokes better.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
How many bowl without it being a problem? Depends on who you listen too. Our crack team of government officials would have you believe even the smoke from grilling or a gas stove will kill you dead in your tracks and so even one puff and you're going to die a horrible death. Then there's George Burns.

So I look at it like this. I use pack years. This calculator converts bowls to pack years.

Stay under 20 pack years and you don't need to be screened for cancer yearly. So they say.

I've smoked the same pipe daily and let it rest overnight empty. No issues. I've rotated a pipe after 1 bowl and no different. Not sure it matters except for maybe how things start to taste or burn. You'll have to try it for yourself to see.

Apr 6, 2024
Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
I might be wrong but I feel like there's so many factors involved with smoking pipe that it cannot possibly be compared to cigarette use. If you don't inhale that eliminates so many issues right there already. Smoking quality tobacco with no additives etc.