Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

REO

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2020
Atlanta
Despite my best efforts to protect the rim on my pipes it darkens. I am careful when I light my pipe and often use a soft flame lighter. I see so many others with well used pipes and they have a pristine rim. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: AroEnglish
I have a piece of soft carpet stretched and mounted to a section of 2x4 that I will rub the rim of my pipe on to keep them clean. I noticed this works when I rubbed my pipe on the carpet in the living room... which did not please Mrs. Cosmic, so this is why I mounted a piece to a section of scrap lumber.

However, without a little effort, you just won't keep the part of the pipe spotless in which all of the smoke will roll across. Packing and stuff, etc.. just doesn't do it.

Now, when I buy a pipe, I avoid rims with decorative inlays or decorative caps over the rim. Sandblasts are my preferred pipes, so that I don't have to be as particular with them.

crowbait

Lurker
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
A lower pack, careful lighting (I use a pipe zipp like RustiePyles suggested), an even smoke and some after care on the rim as others have suggested does the trick. As with most things pipe related patience and care go a long way.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I am careful when I light my pipe and often use a soft flame lighter.
I agree with all that's been said above, but this stood out to me.
"Often" is not "always".
But unless you're actually charring it with a non soft flame, I like the spit/moisture and a good twist or rub on an appropriate jacket cuff or rag that I keep around for similar purposes of pipe cleaning...

Reactions: Lees65GTO
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Despite my best efforts to protect the rim on my pipes it darkens. I am careful when I light my pipe and often use a soft flame lighter. I see so many others with well used pipes and they have a pristine rim. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My bad habit is to tilt the pipe downward while lighting, which leads to scorching toward the back of the rim. When I actually hold the pipe level, it feels like I'm pointing it upward, but that helps a lot. Waxing the rim is a good practice, too, and the wax acts as a sacrificial layer.

Another good practice is to start the lighter away from the pipe and bring it closer to the tobacco only after you start to draw, and then pull it away before you are done drawing. I learned that one from @Chasing Embers , and am still working to make it second nature.

P.S. Maybe once I learn how to keep my rims pristine, I'll start looking into the fancy pipes! 😁

Last edited:

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I have one Peterson that’s their ‘natural’ finish. As you probably know it’s their top tier smooth pipe finish and very light in color. The bowl of this pipe was left untreated. I don’t know if being untreated has been a factor but over the course of 20 +/- bowls of Virginia flake the entire exterior has noticeably darkened. At some point soon I’m going to give it a Murphy’s soap treatment and then a coat of wax. But ultimately it’s going to do what it wants to do.

As far as the rim goes, I pack the bowl a nickels thickness below the rim or chamfer. To clean, spit and a q-tip works for me. Don’t rub hard, just gently work the saliva and the residue will come off. Even then, it’s not going to look new. I’m more worried about rubbing through the finish than getting the rim perfectly clean.

Reactions: BenMN

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A word on lighting instruments: None will prevent the lava from forming from just smoking the pipe. Zippo inserts are preferable to none, but are no better than matches or soft butane lighters.

f you actually char the briar, you aren't paying attention at all. Scorching- depends on the definition- can be removed if it hasn't damaged the briar.