PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have one Peterson that’s their ‘natural’ finish. As you probably know it’s their top tier smooth pipe finish and very light in color. The bowl of this pipe was left untreated. I don’t know if being untreated has been a factor but over the course of 20 +/- bowls of Virginia flake the entire exterior has noticeably darkened. At some point soon I’m going to give it a Murphy’s soap treatment and then a coat of wax. But ultimately it’s going to do what it wants to do.
<< Snipped bits out >>
Every unfinished pipe I have is now a mellow brown, waxed or not. You're right; the pipe will do what it wants to do.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I usually lick the end of a pipe cleaner and give the rim a quick scrub after every smoke.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Now, when I buy a pipe, I avoid rims with decorative inlays or decorative caps over the rim. Sandblasts are my preferred pipes, so that I don't have to be as particular with them.
Pretty much that, except my Christmas pipe, last year now, was a straight grained Dublin with a broad bark rim. I like bark rims to be dark anyway, so I'm just letting it darken.