PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
So i was sitting here thinking. I wonder if i heat up the pipe, with a hair dryer, and smoke immediatly after, i wonder if it may help with the coloring a bit. Opening up the meerschaum to take in more coloring material.

well...the color darkened immeditaily with the heating, as expected, but i noticed the wax kinda migrated out and then dried on the surface. the pipe went from a nice shiny finish, to looking like it was dipped in wax. you can feel the wax. Any way to "force" the wax back in, or do i just buff it off with a microfiber?

Dont judge me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and Coreios

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
So i was sitting here thinking. I wonder if i heat up the pipe, with a hair dryer, and smoke immediatly after, i wonder if it may help with the coloring a bit. Opening up the meerschaum to take in more coloring material.

well...the color darkened immeditaily with the heating, as expected, but i noticed the wax kinda migrated out and then dried on the surface. the pipe went from a nice shiny finish, to looking like it was dipped in wax. you can feel the wax. Any way to "force" the wax back in, or do i just buff it off with a microfiber?

Dont judge me!!
Too late!! lol

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If the pipe has residual wax that has clumped up then just re-heat the pipe and once melted wipe/buff the pipe with a micro fiber cloth or similar. It will look just like before.

My process for rewaxing pipes:
1. Melt wax, I put chunks of wax in a bowl and warm it on the stove.
2. Warm the pipe with heat gun/hair dryer.
3. Apply wax to pipe with a paint brush, q-tip etc.
4. Cover pipe completely, it should look like a drip candle.
5. Let it sit for a few.
6. Heat pipe up to melt of residual wax.
7. Wipe/buff pipe with a micro fiber or similar cloth.
8. Let pipe sit for a few.
Note: if you get the pipe too hot you can actually remove color, so you don't have to heat the pipe excessively. Just enough to melt the wax and wipe of the residual and buff to a shine.
I only do this process once every few years. It's not necessary to do, but it's something I choose to do.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What does a meerschaum with no wax at all look like after smoking a few years? Dirty chalk or something? Asking for a friend.
Unless physically removed, just smoking it won't remove it. There's alot of wax embedded in them and beeswax doesn't evaporate from smoking.

Reactions: condorlover1

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Unless physically removed, just smoking it won't remove it. There's alot of wax embedded in them and beeswax doesn't evaporate from smoking.
I think "my friend" was referring to an already naked, for whatever reason, meerschaum pipe. He's a bit kinky, that way. Meerschaum in the raw, in other words. Useless question, I suppose, since every meerschaum pipe in the world has wax embedded in it--unless some dolt uses a heat gun on it or something.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think "my friend" was referring to an already naked, for whatever reason, meerschaum pipe. He's a bit kinky, that way. Meerschaum in the raw, in other words. Useless question, I suppose, since every meerschaum pipe in the world has wax embedded in it--unless some dolt uses a heat gun on it or something.
Unwaxed, it does resembled smooth chalk or plaster of Paris.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Unwaxed it will turn the color of whatever is on your fingers and whatever you smoke in it. There are limitations so if you are a compulsive nose picker your naked meerschaum is unlikely to turn green! I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that people do the oddest things to meerschaums when all that is required is that you stuff tobacco in the big hole, set fire to it and stick the smaller hole in your mouth. After doing this thirty of forty times it will turn a different color. After mastering this art you could then move on to exploring restrictors for the purposes of coloring or you could visit the QAnon meerschaum page and try out the latest conspiracy theory about covering your pipe in duct tape to bring out the colors! I am always amazed at @Chasing Embers patience explaining the whole meerschaum coloring thing every other month, the man has the fortitude of Job!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've long felt the principal reason wax was ever applied in the first place was to keep the look pristine as it was handled- in shipping and esp. in the shop as customers hefted the pipe, etc.

So, if you're likely to handle the pipe with oily or grimey hands, rewaxing is a good thing. However, with a bit of care, not necessary for many a Meer smoker.