PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I'm no expert on surfing, but couldn't you use something like sex wax to force wax back into the pores of the meerchaum? That is how wax block works right? Just a thought.
1700937459671.png

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
If the pipe has residual wax that has clumped up then just re-heat the pipe and once melted wipe/buff the pipe with a micro fiber cloth or similar. It will look just like before.

My process for rewaxing pipes:
1. Melt wax, I put chunks of wax in a bowl and warm it on the stove.
2. Warm the pipe with heat gun/hair dryer.
3. Apply wax to pipe with a paint brush, q-tip etc.
4. Cover pipe completely, it should look like a drip candle.
5. Let it sit for a few.
6. Heat pipe up to melt of residual wax.
7. Wipe/buff pipe with a micro fiber or similar cloth.
8. Let pipe sit for a few.
Note: if you get the pipe too hot you can actually remove color, so you don't have to heat the pipe excessively. Just enough to melt the wax and wipe of the residual and buff to a shine.
I only do this process once every few years. It's not necessary to do, but it's something I choose to do.
Please use a double boiler if you are melting wax! Over heated wax can burst into flame and / or explode - better to be safe than sorry...

Reactions: Green Hill piper

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Load that boy up with some damp plug and smoke the hell out of it and as the man says it will all vanish given time. Best to leave things alone and everything has a habit of sorting itself out in the end!

Reactions: gamzultovah
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Please use a double boiler if you are melting wax! Over heated wax can burst into flame and / or explode - better to be safe than sorry...
Definitely... just warm the wax. You clearly don't need high heat to melt wax. I put the burner on the lowest setting, and it doesn't take long to melt. You can use a heat gun to melt the wax as well if you don't want to use the stove.

FYI... Beeswax melts at 140 degrees F, and it will become flammable at 400 degrees F.

Reactions: jhowell

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Excellent advice gentlemen... I don't know much about meerchaum or wax. I suppose beeswax would be the way to go.

I'll stick to briar and corn. cobs. 🤣