PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I received this fantastic gift from our dear friend TheironMonkey. He knows I am as deaf as a nuclear submarine lid, so I am intrigued as to what image he will send me next, in the not too distant future. I would never have imagined such a gift of these characteristics. But it is one of the best gifts I have ever received in my life. So this thread is open to show the most original gifts you have ever received in your fucking life. I'm not sure, but maybe I'll comment on the forum, that I see less than three on a donkey?IMG_6862[11821].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
My wife passed away a few years ago, but I am still close with my in-laws. They are truly wonderful people, and I feel fortunate to have them in my life. They live in Canada, but we still visit each other.

Well, last month, they came down to visit me in California for the holidays. They know I play guitar so they decided to buy me guitar "art" as a Christmas present.
I understand, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this thing is so ugly (to me) I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. It currently lives, still boxed, in my garage.

20231230_165054.jpg

There's no way I'm going to hang this thing on a wall and look at it daily. I just can't figure out what to do with it.
Yeesh.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My wife passed away a few years ago, but I am still close with my in-laws. They are truly wonderful people, and I feel fortunate to have them in my life. They live in Canada, but we still visit each other.

Well, last month, they came down to visit me in California for the holidays. They know I play guitar so they decided to buy me guitar "art" as a Christmas present.
I understand, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this thing is so ugly (to me) I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. It currently lives, still boxed, in my garage.

View attachment 283168

There's no way I'm going to hang this thing on a wall and look at it daily. I just can't figure out what to do with it.
Yeesh.

Was this given to you as a joke? Just to see how you'd react?

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Was this given to you as a joke? Just to see how you'd react?
Oh no, Mike. It was serious.
My mother in law and I just spoke a couple of days ago, and she asked me if I had hung hung it yet.
I said "no ma, not yet" lol.
I don't have the heart to tell her that I think it's hideous.
And they lugged this thing down from Toronto for me. I have no idea what to do here. I probably should have told them that this piece "isn't quite my style" and given then to opportunity to return it or something. But, when I opened it, I just kinda froze. In shock. And now I'm stuck. Lol.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

View attachment 283168

Yeesh.

There could be potential to drill it out and make a very large pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Art always art. Not art people bought or acquired but made. I have an illustration from an artist I befriended by playing fanboy. That was sweet. I have a lot of well a decent amount of art ranging from visual to written from former girlfriends specifically made for me. That's pretty sweet.
One time a friend gifted me one of his grandfathers pipe I held onto it for less then three hours before insisting it was too much and they should have it.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas

View attachment 283168

Yeesh.
That’s the sort of “gift” I would give to a friend hoping like hell they would feel obligated to hang it on their wall. Then when I came over to see them next and it was on their wall I would make the comment of “Well, I am really glad you liked it. I thought it was godawful and would never in a million years hang that on my wall.”

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018

View attachment 283168

Yeesh.
Not even kidding, I kind of like it. I'm not exactly sure what I'd do with it... But I kind of like the transition from raw organic wood, to polished and finished guitar. Maybe a guitar maker would appreciate it more?

I'm no kind of craftsman, and barely a guitarist, so maybe I'm just making things up haha ... But I could see it appealing to someone. 🤷‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and yanoJL