PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm almost 50 and it took me well into my 40s before I started being ok with just being myself. I smoke low-brow tobacco and like it; I drink cheap beer and like it; I listen to music most people have never heard of and that's ok by me, etc, etc. It's just a shame it takes so long to realize it's ok to be oneself.
I’m right there with you. Thankfully I’m learning that in my mid-30s (though I still wish I learned it sooner).

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I’m right there with you. Thankfully I’m learning that in my mid-30s (though I still wish I learned it sooner).
There is a great quote floating around the interwebs by Napoleon Hill. Something to the effect of:

"It takes half your life before you discover life is a do-it-yourself project."

Reactions: Kobold
May 23, 2023
I ‘ve drunk plenty of beers. Made my own for years. But after a hard long ride on my Indian, I’ll settle for a nice cold Coors Light every time. I think there is a group of men who believe thinking for themselves means doing whatever is suppose to be “elite” or “premium” whether it is tobacco, beer, or watches.
The recent kerfuffle with bud light has me noticing something. People are lining up around the block to advertise that they've never drank that nasty old pisswater anyways (meaning American macrobrew in general). Personal taste is one thing, but It's odd to me to watch legions of people my own age to take pride in being disgusted by things their fathers likely enjoyed for years. Like it's a badge of pride or something.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
The recent kerfuffle with bud light has me noticing something. People are lining up around the block to advertise that they've never drank that nasty old pisswater anyways (meaning American macrobrew in general). Personal taste is one thing, but It's odd to me to watch legions of people my own age to take pride in being disgusted by things their fathers likely enjoyed for years. Like it's a badge of pride or something.
All those old-timer brands were considered solid American beer until the hipsters took over with the microbrews. I got into the microbrew thing for a good while but got over it. Most of it is just too expensive and not worth the price (to me). I shudder to think how much I spent during the ten or so year stretch I was into it all.

Not sure how it is all over the country, but here in my area (DFW), the store displays of Bud Light are always full. It looks like hardly anyone is buying it. From everything I've read, they've lost billions. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind...

Reactions: Kobold
May 23, 2023
All those old-timer brands were considered solid American beer until the hipsters took over with the microbrews. I got into the microbrew thing for a good while but got over it. Most of it is just too expensive and not worth the price (to me). I shudder to think how much I spent during the ten or so year stretch I was into it all.
Your experience mirrors my own. I've come full circle and happily slug down keystone light while doing yard work or watching movies. I'm skipping the process hopefully with tobacco by investing heavily in codger and medium priced blends. Not that there's anything wrong with the really good stuff, I'm just saving myself a few years and hundreds of dollars hahaha

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Your experience mirrors my own. I've come full circle and happily slug down keystone light while doing yard work or watching movies. I'm skipping the process hopefully with tobacco by investing heavily in codger and medium priced blends. Not that there's anything wrong with the really good stuff, I'm just saving myself a few years and hundreds of dollars hahaha
Yeah exactly! Nothing wrong with the more expensive stuff but if the cheap stuff gets the job done to one's satisfaction, then be glad for the savings or the extra volume you can buy.

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
The only American OTC I have tried is Velvet, and I have to say, it is superb. Far superior to most of the aromatics available in the UK. Haven't tried 1-Q yet, but it is defo next on the hit list.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Here’s to Low Brow. The simple pleasures of life are the ones we miss most when we are too fragile to rise from our final bed.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I'm not generally fond of aromatics, but I'll have to get some 1Q to try it out since I haven't tried any for years. I have some McClellan Cherry something jarred, and maybe some other aromatic, but that's about all I have on hand.

In my opinion, most aromatics are just ok, and I have always found better options to smoke. The room note is a good reason to smoke aromatics, at least my wife appreciates it around her.

But if you want to explain taste, I have one I've never been able to figure out..

Try as I might, I've never been able to acquire a taste for Beer! I've tried for MANY years to find one I truely liked, but to no avail.

There are a few, I will drink on occasion, but every beer I've ever tasted is bitter with a bad after taste, but bring on the Scotch, Whiskey, Bourbon, or Tequila, and only in moderation for me please.

I guess my taste is pretty broad for tobacco, as I can smoke just about any blend if I'm in a pinch...But I'm partial to English and Virginia, and Latakia and Perique...

Ronv69

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
Linden , Texas
I'm an old fart and I smoke mostly Wilke and other high-end tobaccos, but every time the Desert Island Tobacco question comes up my answer is Captain Black Royal. I like 1Q OK, but I want to mix it with some Classic Burley Kake and see how that works. To each their own.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC

Not sure how it is all over the country, but here in my area (DFW), the store displays of Bud Light are always full. It looks like hardly anyone is buying it. From everything I've read, they've lost billions. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind...
I love the trend of microbreweries. I'm far from being a snob, I cant pick out a flavor from one beer to the next. I usually just order whatever the flagship beer is, and think to myself something between 'great' and 'gross'. They also provide great social environments and make me feel as if I am supporting my local economy. Beer has long been dominated by big brands, so its cool to see production move back to the people. I treat most of my purchases this way, when possible.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I had smoked 1Q a long time ago and was left feeling underwhelmed. But, by a moment of gullible deception, I actually bought some from the Tinder Box badged under a different moniker, "Wilshire" based upon the jar note. Smoking it, 1Q did seem more enlivening I must admit. Maybe they changed something or perhaps my palate was less prejudiced? However, RLP-6, BCA and TK-6 seem to trip my trigger more for the Lane products.