PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Just a heads up to you all out there – There is an active scammer out there on instagram. I had a pretty long messaging session about some cellar he was trying to sell off - Then he took me for $150 bucks. I am not sure the best way to protect ourselves from being scammed, so just wanted to alert you all.

The guys Instagram handle was ViperSting989 and was "selling" all sorts of McClelland tins, Esoterica, Dunhills. Once you get a price, he offers to throw in some other tins for a better price to "sweeten the pot."

I fell for it, sent the money and never heard a word from the guy. If your gut is telling you something is off, it is.

Its one thing to decide to finally purchase some vintage tins, its another to realize you just get burned. My first bad experience from the pipe smoking community. I have really only come across generosity up until now.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I did through Instagram, but not sure they will care much, as they don't have an option for "fraud" - only inappropriate content and using someones identity. I also opened a case with PayPal, which I hear doesn't hold up well when you use the friends and family feature of it.

All in all, It could have been worse. I mostly just want to let people know whats going on out there, I am sure some people are wiling to drop a lot more than I did.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just a heads up to you all out there – There is an active scammer out there on instagram. I had a pretty long messaging session about some cellar he was trying to sell off - Then he took me for $150 bucks. I am not sure the best way to protect ourselves from being scammed, so just wanted to alert you all.

The guys Instagram handle was ViperSting989 and was "selling" all sorts of McClelland tins, Esoterica, Dunhills. Once you get a price, he offers to throw in some other tins for a better price to "sweeten the pot."

I fell for it, sent the money and never heard a word from the guy. If your gut is telling you something is off, it is.

Its one thing to decide to finally purchase some vintage tins, its another to realize you just get burned. My first bad experience from the pipe smoking community. I have really only come across generosity up until now.

Sorry to hear that mate, thanks for the heads up.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
That sucks I got scammed from a FB purchase and then had to deal with PP to try and get it resolved which it never was and I had to open another account. Shady people out there. I just trust in karma. But still doesn’t make me feel better :-(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let me guess, you sent money to a post office box? A check or money order? I wonder how he negotiates his alias when cashing it? Sorry to hear a person who knows pipe tobacco is also a thief, but so it is.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Let me guess, you sent money to a post office box? A check or money order? I wonder how he negotiates his alias when cashing it? Sorry to hear a person who knows pipe tobacco is also a thief, but so it is.
pretty easy to find out what the hot items are. Gosh darn it just realized that it would be easy for a scammer to get an empty tin and put something else in there.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately - It is much easier than that. They have you send them money via PayPal (or bitcoin) through the friends and family feature (this saves on a processing fee I guess). The friends and family exchanges are harder to dispute.

Reactions: edger

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Also - Another takeaway for me, do a little digging on the name, email address, or account handle. Its usually not their first time doing it, and someone has said something. I waited about 45mins to long to search, but as soon as I did I knew I wasn't getting anything out of the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.