I Want to Purchase a Quality Meer. Please Recommend a Brand!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My Criteria? Reputable Quality. I’m interested in putting a Meer through its paces. I’m in uncharted territory with regard to Meers. Although I do own one African Meer - I don’t believe it’s among the better smoking pipes.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have an IMP that is drilled well, performs and the stem fits nice, no issues.

I commissioned an Altinok based on a sketch I came up with and the quality of the carving is amazing. Unfortunately it didn’t come with the stem I asked for and it was loose but a member here was kind enough to fashion a replacement. It also performs well.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Ramadan from Meerschaum Depot sells pipes through C.I and does a lovely line in 'cutty' pipes since he borrows mine to copy and sells them under my name no less! Before you ask I don't get any royalties or anything since he is a very close friend who does all my pipe cases for me. He sells a lot of Ebay and will always cut a deal if you say you know me!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love my Astas Meers. On all 3 occasions, I dealt with the carver himself. I've been in contact with him for years now regularly haha. Comparing with big name brands, I believe he is one of the less expensive around. He has a website, but It looks like most of his stuff is on Etsy.

click it

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@Grangerous what is your budget and I’m assuming you want something that is new/nos/unsmoked?
Under $500 - most of my pipes are estates… Lightly smoked preferred but that’s not a deal breaker.

I’d like a good smoker with an easy draw and a quality joint of mortise and stem.

Nothing ornate.

A classic smooth billiard with enough chamber diameter to allow a papertowel wrapped finger to easily clean the bowl after use.

Essentially, a Meerschaum equivalent of most of my Briars.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Under $500 - most of my pipes are estates… Lightly smoked preferred but that’s not a deal breaker.

I’d like a good smoker with an easy draw and a quality joint of mortise and stem.

Nothing ornate.

A classic smooth billiard with enough chamber diameter to allow a papertowel wrapped finger to easily clean the bowl after use.

Essentially, a Meerschaum equivalent of most of my Briars.
I think you should have a fairly easy time finding something in those parameters.