I Want to Purchase a Quality Meer. Please Recommend a Brand!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
On the topic of tenon connections, which is a popular subject when it comes to meers, Altinok is one of the only current carvers that uses a permanent, stainless steel tenon connection.
After having a permanent fixture repaired for $100, I've started avoiding them when possible. The guys at IMP offered to make a pipe for my upcoming 50th birthday so definitely not saying no to that. The screw in sets can be had for a couple of dollars and the glued in ones shield the meerschaum mortise from exposure to smoke if coloring is a concern.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Under $500 - most of my pipes are estates… Lightly smoked preferred but that’s not a deal breaker.

I’d like a good smoker with an easy draw and a quality joint of mortise and stem.

Nothing ornate.

A classic smooth billiard with enough chamber diameter to allow a papertowel wrapped finger to easily clean the bowl after use.

Essentially, a Meerschaum equivalent of most of my Briars.
Peterson golden supreme/princess or a cased antique meer with military mount

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Regarding mortise/tenon, have you considered an army mount? I have half a dozen army mount meers (all made by Altinay although some have other brand names) and I am very happy with them. A new straight billiard with your size requirements would be relatively easy to find within your budget.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Blackmeerschaum are very good too. I have several from all different makers and I always gravitate to my Blackmeerschaum pipes. Also, they have a Briar fit mortise. The Al Pascia Meers are good too.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Blackmeerschaum are very good too. I have several from all different makers and I always gravitate to my Blackmeerschaum pipes. Also, they have a Briar fit mortise. The Al Pascia Meers are good too.
I like blackmeerschaums. The way they carve most pipes, make the meerschaum look.....different. haha.

Reactions: LeafErikson

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
That's why I've avoided them. Briar swells from heat and moisture and I'd be afraid of that cracking the meerschaum.

I’ve smoked hundreds of bowls through mine and it’s as tight as it was when I first got it and no effect on the meerschaum. IMG_2921.jpeg
IMG_2923.jpegIMG_2924.jpeg

Here are a few pics of my other one that I have not smoked as much.

IMG_2928.jpegIMG_2927.jpegIMG_2926.jpeg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The question I have is do you want a classic shape, or do you want a carved pipe (i.e. figural, animal, etc.)?

If you want a nicely carved pipe, then I would recommend these carvers:
Tekin Uzkesici
Ismail Baglan
Huseyin Cor
H. Yavuz
Sadik Yanik
Fikri Baki
Ismat Bekler (CAO)

You can find some great classic shapes as well as nicely carved meers from these brands/vendors:
IMP
Altinok
Altinay
SMS
Meerschaum Market

I've had good success with Meerschaum Market. I have 3 pipes from them and they're all great smokers. Meerschaum Market sells IMP pipes, as well as pipes from some of the carvers listed above and many other great carvers.

You can find some great meerschaum pipes on Ebay, new and estate. One of the best meerschaum makers prior to 1970 was Andreas Bauer from Vienna, Austria. You can find some really nice Andreas Bauer pipes if you're do a little looking and have some patients.

Good luck with your search and future purchase.

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
I've been fascinated by meerschaum pipes forever and if I ever encounter one with a quality stem I'll buy it.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The only reason I didn't mention them is because their pipes are a grab bag from many different independent artisans. More of a distributor than a company though I've no complaints about any of the pipes I've bought from them.

View attachment 275980View attachment 275981View attachment 275982
Those are great!

Question for you regarding the screw-in mortise like on my Al Pascia…

How often do you disassemble your meers with this type of joining? I want to think to do it as “infrequently” as possible. Just wipe out the bowl and run a pipe cleaner.

Reactions: Chasing Embers