PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I'm mainly aiming toward the pocket tamper as far as what I'm looking to make, so I guess my next question here is; Are you happy with the tamp and scoop, like the common pipe nail, or would you rather have a tamper and a pick combo? If you were to grab one heading out the door.
Personally I like something that requires nothing to manipulate and can ride in a front pocket. Revisiting
This thread Id say it has to have a pointed end but nothing uncomfortable in the pocket.
This acrylic tamper is probably the best and simplest design that I've9CF02974-A317-4D07-8929-1FACCC3AB24A.jpeg come across and if I could find someone to make one out of brass or pewter I would.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Personally I like something that requires nothing to manipulate and can ride in a front pocket. Revisiting
This thread Id say it has to have a pointed end but nothing uncomfortable in the pocket.
This acrylic tamper is probably the best and simplest design that I'veView attachment 246141 come across and if I could find someone to make one out of brass or pewter I would.
I like that, but I agree, it should be metal. I'd prefer brass or steel. Really anything over pewter. Maybe bamboo, its pretty hard. I'm with you on the "nothing to manipulate" front. Pipe knives are neat but there's already a knife in my pocket. And if my goal is trying to simplify the Czech tool, it's even more pointless. The 8deco models with the ventilated tamper end are cool. Might be overkill but I dig it.

Reactions: PaulRVA

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
the best one in my opinion is the 8 deco domed, ridged, and vented design. The dome is great for pulling the edges down, the ridges are great for flakes when the ash forms in an oddly solid way or to help spread the ash and tobacco evenly with a little twist, and the vents are great because you can keep drawing when you need to tamp and forgot to draw on the pipe for a while. Sadly lost it. Just fell out of my pocket.
👆
This.

8decos are the only tamper I care for.

I particularly dislike tampers with flat feet—yeah, I'm looking at you Czech tool.

H

HRPufnstuf

I have been browsing through some of the sponsors' sites extensively since I joined the party. I really think a Laguiole pipe tool in light or black horn is a must. Laguiole is a storied company in knife manufacturing and I own their traditional pen knife. Their pipe tool would be a beautiful addition to my pipe collection.

H

HRPufnstuf

I currently own a Rattray's slim caber tamper and I love the concave foot, it permits me to manipulate unburned tobacco away from the sides of the bowl with light pressure and I find a "domed" ash layer promotes a cool, even smoke.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Czech tool or simple pipe nail.
I have a dozen or so of each laying around, and always have a Czech tool in my pocket.

Reactions: obc83

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Yeah I guess more to the original point... the ideal tamper to me would be something like a Czech tool, if you could improve upon the design.

Maybe a better way to clip the tools together that they're not floppy, like an adjustable screw? Or I suppose a fancy looking version of it without adding too much additional weight?

That's just me though. The Czech tool does what I need and I don't see any change making it better (other than the floppy tool thing when one of them is open). Like I never felt I needed the tamp part to be curved/concave or that it would work better if it was. I don't need a knife on it because I don't have that kind of cake buildup (wipe bowl when finished). And so on.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I can custom make that, but most people wouldn't want to pay what I put into it.
That tends to be the case with all these kind of crafty things that I get into. During lunch at welding school awhile back I asked a fellow student how much he thinks he makes an hour with knife making. Sitting in front of a project, instead of a sandwich, he responded with "something in the mid to high 80 cent range."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like that, but I agree, it should be metal. I'd prefer brass or steel. Really anything over pewter. << Snipped bits out >>
Should be?? Nah. If that's your druthers, that's for you.

Wood tampers have been fine for several hundreds of years.

Plastic is a no no; don't ask how I know. (Golf tee I thought was wood—wasn't.)

Pewter, I was surprised to see that someone was casting pewter tamps. I didn't want to say anything about it, because I didn't want to look like a disgruntled competitor. Honestly, if no one ever buys a tamp from me, I will be fine. I really only make them because I get requests all the time... till they see the price, ha ha. I can't compete with golf tees. puffy

But, pewter melts at a temperature below that of burning wood, like 477F, where as wood burns at 600F, pending the wood.
Acrylic melts at 428F.

To put that into perspective, you could melt lead in a campfire at 621F and pour it into molds to make balls for your musket. Pewter melts way below that. I am awaiting for someone to report that their pewter tamp melted in their pipe chamber.