Ideal tamper design?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sure. And wood tampers will also ignite if left pressed to an ember for long enough.
I've charred the ends of my golf tees, but never ignited one. It is possible, but... much more likely to char one... and, I suppose it would be more likely to just warp or misshape a pewter one. But, then you are also taking a chance of getting tin fumes mixed in with your smoke. But, whatever... I just state this as a precaution... something to be aware of.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Golf tees are great since you can get them in good lengths, the head is small enough to fit any pipe, and they are cheap.

Czech pipe tool adds the bonus of being long enough for any chamber.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I too like a concave tampering surface. I also like a sharpish edge to the tamper for scraping the side of the bowl when needed. This is my ideal tamper, which I have unfortunately lost.
tamper.jpg
Is that a Roush? I love his silver work!

Reactions: mingc and obc83

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I like that, but I agree, it should be metal. I'd prefer brass or steel. Really anything over pewter. Maybe bamboo, its pretty hard. I'm with you on the "nothing to manipulate" front. Pipe knives are neat but there's already a knife in my pocket. And if my goal is trying to simplify the Czech tool, it's even more pointless. The 8deco models with the ventilated tamper end are cool. Might be overkill but I dig it.
Why don’t you like pewter?

Reactions: obc83

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. Or holder of the tamper.

Some beauties shown. For me, it's important that if I lose one, I am set back less than a buck.
My friend, you haven't lived untill you use a commissioned tamper that cost more than any pipe you own! 😂

I'm so strange I don't even understand my ways....

• Love
Reactions: VA_Red and jpmcwjr

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Why don’t you like pewter?
honestly, for a tamper, I don't have any experience to back that up. I just remember being warned as a kid that old pewter mugs had lead in them, which I don't even think is true any more. I think also, I just like more slim and trim designs that mostly necessitate steel or brass. I'd love to have one of Cosmic's tampers. I think they're pewter.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Like RustyPyles, I have some cool tampers, but my simple Brebbia pipe nail is my go to. Nothing to unfold, nothing sharp in my pocket, easy to clean off (for bag or pocket), not heart breaking to lose.

I have this Pete-Geek cool P-lip tamper. But, I'm not confident enough in my sexuality to use it in front of of a group.

Sheffield, to hard to clean the ashes, but it goes around in my club pipe bag, not sure why.

Brebbia_Tamper.JPGPeterson_PIpe_Tamper_eBay.JPGRichards_Sheffield_Tamper.JPGSteel_Warrior_Doctors_Knife.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"I have this Pete-Geek cool P-lip tamper. But, I'm not confident enough in my sexuality to use it in front of of a group."

Great conversation starter, Al, especially with a group of women!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"I have this Pete-Geek cool P-lip tamper. But, I'm not confident enough in my sexuality to use it in front of of a group."

Great conversation starter, Al, especially with a group of women!
My lead off: "you know what they say about guys with large tampers?"

Cool, but essentially useless tamper Peterson sent me for my 2023 POY issues. No blade, no good.

Peterson_SH-Tamper.jpg