PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I recently acquired a giant of my own---a Comoy's Extraordinaire 804 that's ten inches long---and is in perfect like-new condition, that retailed for a fifth that amount. Crazy elegant lines, and smooth finished, too, which means "first selection" wood with fewer flaws.

The brand name obsession never ceases to amaze me. (Did you know that women's purses actually get sold for $300K? Not historically significant specimens that belong in a museum, like the one Jackie O. was carrying in Dallas or something, but to women who simply want to be oooh'd and aaaah'd at by their friends).

Maybe we need a "Post Your Massive Pipes" thread - I have two 100+ yr old French swan-necks that makes LC's look like salesman samples. And my Doug Finlay has a bowl the size of a baseball.

Overpriced brand-name pipes don't bother me. I've had a collectibles business for 20+ years and part of that is understanding the market value for anything I buy and sell. If I love a $1,000 pipe and can get it for $700, I might buy it knowing I can always make a few hundred bucks...someday...and 'someday' never comes.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are a couple of interesting ones:

One of the finest-grained Petersons I've seen: Judd's Very Nice Beautiful Early Peterson Straight Grain Bulldog Pipe #9 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/386911559490

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting Barling's: V Rare Antique Barling Church Wardens Silver Band Smokers Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/266740164882

s-l1600.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

I thought about bidding on that Barling, but I couldn’t help but wonder if the mouthpiece was missing. I have seen cased Barlings with albatross bone extensions, but they all had an additional mouthpiece/stem. I’m just not well versed enough to pull the trigger on something like this without knowing more.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I thought about bidding on that Barling, but I couldn’t help but wonder if the mouthpiece was missing. I have seen cased Barlings with albatross bone extensions, but they all had an additional mouthpiece/stem. I’m just not well versed enough to pull the trigger on something like this without knowing more.
I thought the exact same thing.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I would be really surprised if any were made with no stem, but as it's the easiest bit to lose a lot seem to turn up like this, minus stem. They are also prone to splitting so I wonder if people sometimes clip them. Here's mine, split, no stem, but does have the original fitting for the stem:

17128651479196944561806294127966.jpg

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This one arrived today and I immediately got to work. A couple of surprises: stem dot is too big for 1922, but the stem is really perfect - probably 1940's before they reached their final dot-size. But it looks so great that I'm wondering if it's one that George did? Second surprise was this burn area. It was mentioned in the description but not pictured in any meaningful way. The third 'sort of surprise' was that the stummel really is as brown as in the photos :)

So...it's a 1922 with a great stem, and I plan to keep and smoke it, so I'm good with the stem. I like restoring pipes, so the burn and color are just a minor challenge. I started by scrubbing the pipe good with Murphy Oil Soap and a toothbrush. For the burn I scraped it out with a sharp x-acto knife. I then filled the decorative ring dings with amber CA glue, immediately regretting that I had done so - very little bang for the buck, and messy. For the burn dent I decided to go ahead and stain the entire pipe then fill the dent with amber CA glue. The stain is about dry. I'll then wipe it with an alcohol cloth and then probably go with a mix of mostly Danish Oil, partly the same stain mixture (~1/5 black to maroon).

The alternative for the burn dent would be to do a mix of briar dust and glue, then do the stain, but the technique I'm using has always worked well in the past.

K5ZTjgz.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
... A couple of surprises: stem dot is too big for 1922, but the stem is really perfect - probably 1940's before they reached their final dot-size. But it looks so great that I'm wondering if it's one that George did?

Not one of mine. (my rememberer would remember... it's 100% for stuff I've worked on. Maybe the extended exposure of handling something for hours burns it in me brayne?)

Anyway, it's been buffed/sanded/shrunken a fair amount:

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 6.24.58 PM.png

Also, the tall, pointy-edged button is definitely 1922.

(Forget dot size, that was never consistent)

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 6.29.02 PM.png

Reactions: bayareabriar

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Not one of mine. (my rememberer would remember... it's 100% for stuff I've worked on. Maybe the extended exposure of handling something for hours burns it in me brayne?)

Anyway, it's been buffed/sanded/shrunken a fair amount:

View attachment 302652

Also, the tall, pointy-edged button is definitely 1922.

(Forget dot size, that was never consistent)

View attachment 302653

Thanks George - you made my day!

It's now enjoying the final oil/stain and I'll polish it up and give it a first smoke tomorrow.

Reactions: bayareabriar

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Everyone should get the opportunity to experience an unsmoked oil-cured Taylor Ashton:

View attachment 301231
Same:
Seller
Unsmoked Ashton Straight Grain
Late 80's pipe
Same buyer it appears.

1712879136826.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A trio of pretty unusual GBD's ended today.

1713127655935.png

#2 1921 Straight Grain

1713127740971.png

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York