PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Boxes I can sometimes dig up, cases and sleeves generally not. What era are you looking for?

Have you reviewed the fairly complete runs of catalogs floating around? That might be a decent chronological source.
I’m interested in boxes from 20s to 1980s and the respective sleeves used in them. I have not reviewed them! Could you point me in the right direction? I like also the sleuthing and historical factor involved. Example when the ole lady became queen and the writing that changed on the boxes.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Thanks. I saw that, but the only 'label' on this case is the 'Dunhill White Spot' label which appears to be modern, and both sides of the case are velour. The silk-lined cases followed the information you posted, making them easier to figure out date ranges.
It does say some of these were made in the 60's. It could have been re-lined by dunhill at some point as well. The hole in top is correct, so it looks legit.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It does say some of these were made in the 60's. It could have been re-lined by dunhill at some point as well. The hole in top is correct, so it looks legit.
Yeah, the patent info and 'Dunhill London' made me feel good about it. I'd love to see that info as stamped on a 1920's case, compared to when they quit using it. It may not have varied much.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah, the patent info and 'Dunhill London' made me feel good about it. I'd love to see that info as stamped on a 1920's case, compared to when they quit using it. It may not have varied much.
I’m not sure if this is what you are asking, but here is one which is with a pipe from 1928. I have also seen that Dunhill the white spot logo in the inside of a case of an older pipe, I forget where though, maybe one of Todd’s listings??

E8E8C89F-5528-4D39-996D-E1BE3F16D8F6.jpeg13CA1EC5-FAE3-4310-A3EA-7E5525642331.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought about bidding on that Barling, but I couldn’t help but wonder if the mouthpiece was missing. I have seen cased Barlings with albatross bone extensions, but they all had an additional mouthpiece/stem. I’m just not well versed enough to pull the trigger on something like this without knowing more.
I did bid on it and yes, the mouthpiece is missing. But its a simpler affair than the sterling mounts.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m interested in boxes from 20s to 1980s and the respective sleeves used in them. I have not reviewed them! Could you point me in the right direction? I like also the sleuthing and historical factor involved. Example when the ole lady became queen and the writing that changed on the boxes.
One of the fun facts about Barling boxes is that they can be dated within a 5 year period if the label on the interior side of the lid is still attached. They tell you how many years Barling had been in business, and they were updated every five years.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I’m not sure if this is what you are asking, but here is one which is with a pipe from 1928. I have also seen that Dunhill the white spot logo in the inside of a case of an older pipe, I forget where though, maybe one of Todd’s listings??

View attachment 304110View attachment 304111
Case arrived. I really thought it would fit a little apple I have, but the stem on my pipe is way too thick.

The pipe itself is mid-30's or earlier - Dunhill's "Shell" stamp is all I can make out other than 'England' below. So I guess the case is older than I thought, but will sit until I find a pipe that fits in it.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here's a pipe that should be interesting to Pete Geeks: it's a plateau with an 'almost Dunmore' shank treatment. I have one of these and always wondered if someone did the treatment after purchasing the pipe, as all other 'Plato' examples we've seen have plateau at the shank end. Seeing a second one makes me think it was done at the factory. Mine is also mostly straight, so the treatment makes sense, as showing the plateau at the shank end would usually only be possible on pipes with a more acute bend.

Peterson’s Plato Plateau Irish Estate Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335358914420

92UasEE.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm surprised someone paid $611 for this rare Sasieni, give its condition.

View attachment 305022

That's funny. After we discussed this pipe in an earlier thread, I set up a search to find it on ebay, and never did. Yet here it is.

That does sound way high, but if you were collecting examples of every Sasieni stem, you'd have to go high on this one. They never show up. Hopefully the winner doesn't send it to a repairman who sends it back with a perfect new stem, having thrown the original in the trash.

I hope the new owner is a member here and we can discuss.

• Love
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That's funny. After we discussed this pipe in an earlier thread, I set up a search to find it on ebay, and never did. Yet here it is.

That does sound way high, but if you were collecting examples of every Sasieni stem, you'd have to go high on this one. They never show up. Hopefully the winner doesn't send it to a repairman who sends it back with a perfect new stem, having thrown the original in the trash.

I hope the new owner is a member here and we can discuss.
George would make a perfect stem, even better than the original, and trash this one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
George would make a perfect stem, even better than the original, and trash this one.
Agreed. That one still had the plumbing. I'm sure George could replicate a new stem to accept it, but I've found on Patent era Sasieni's smoking with the stinger is too restrictive and too open removed (much like Grand Slam Comoy's). You can overcome the too open draw with appropriate packing.

1713798689650.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have an 'eight dot' that had a worse bit than this one. A pipe-making friend couldn't understand why I would want to keep it. Maybe this doesn't make sense to some, but I wanted the original eight dots. I could see making a perfect replacement and just storing the original stem along with the pipe, but not throwing it away. I don't know how to make stems so I just repaired the original.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have an 'eight dot' that had a worse bit than this one. A pipe-making friend couldn't understand why I would want to keep it. Maybe this doesn't make sense to some, but I wanted the original eight dots. I could see making a perfect replacement and just storing the original stem along with the pipe, but not throwing it away. I don't know how to make stems so I just repaired the original.
I'd definitely have to save the original (I suspect Orlando meant replace & save vs discard it)

At a $600 purchase, with a $200 replacement stem,I suppose it would be worth $800 to a collector to own and enjoy it.

The scorched rim is that area that's more difficult to fix and retain originality.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Makes perfect sense to me !