Is this a Re-stemmed and Banded Savinelli?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AvgKsHunter

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2023
In part of my recent lot purchase is this pipe. It has me a bit baffled as to what is going on with it. Initially I thought it was a Savinelli Autograph 4 (which I still think it may be) but the band and stem have me perplexed if it wasn’t re-stemmed/silver banded. I tried the ol Google-Fu but came up empty so hope someone here can straighten me out. Thanks and ignore the desk mess ;) 87E4D309-8917-4786-8D5A-5D8055C7A3A8.jpegFC684B84-3595-4ABD-AFBC-AF7C4D3F7B50.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: samuelgawith01

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’m not as up to speed on Savs as some folks, but that stamping looks like it’s too far towards the stem. The ones I’ve owned wouldn’t have the stamping covered if they’d been banded. Any chance it had a crack and the shank was cut down some & re-drilled before adding a band to hide the scene of the crime? Like some type of garage band salvage job? A Salvagenelli?

AvgKsHunter

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2023
I’m not as up to speed on Savs as some folks, but that stamping looks like it’s too far towards the stem. The ones I’ve owned wouldn’t have the stamping covered if they’d been banded. Any chance it had a crack and the shank was cut down some & re-drilled before adding a band to hide the scene of the crime? Like some type of garage band salvage job? A Salvagenelli?
Henceforth, the "Salvagenelli" is what it will now be known as LOL. I knew I liked you all.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Definitely a repair band. The sloppy installation guarantees it, covering part of the nomenclature double guarantees it.

If curious whether it's a repair band or a "pre-emptive" one or added for decoration "just because", remove the stem and wet the end of the shank with your fingertip and blow on it. If there is a crack, in few seconds it will appear as a dark line.

AvgKsHunter

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2023
Definitely a repair band. The sloppy installation guarantees it, covering part of the nomenclature double guarantees it.

If curious whether it's a repair band or a "pre-emptive" one or added for decoration "just because", remove the stem and wet the end of the shank with your fingertip and blow on it. If there is a crack, in few seconds it will appear as a dark line.
I will do the shank test to see if a line appears. Thank you for that tip. Using a jewelers loupe and Inspecting it with the stem off prior to posting this there didn’t appear to be a crack. Would almost expect there to be one to motivate someone to do this. Perhaps a crack occurred further down the shank and it was cut above it?
If by sloppy you mean the covering of the stamping I’d agree, unless it was necessary to fix it, but the band installation itself is better than some banding, by design, on pipes I’ve seen. It was very well done by who ever did it.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but the tiered shape of the stem (picture just the top half of a saddle stem that has been rounded, no mirroring of the saddle shape) seems consistent with an Autograph stem.

The few genuine Savinelli clear stems that I have handled (that's only a small sampling) have had the company's name stamped on them.

Reactions: AvgKsHunter

AvgKsHunter

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2023
Here is a Savinelli 505 I have with a clear stem. You can see the company name stamped on the side:

View attachment 209620

As @rustiepyles mentioned, you button doesn't seem to be funneled. Unfortunately, I can't take a top view pic (the pipe is at home) to show it more clearly, but I do have these images on my computer—I believe you can see the funnel at the bit:

View attachment 209621
Thank you! The stem on mine does not have Savinelli. This has been an interesting and educational exercise. I really appreciate the heck out of everyone’s willingness to help. The “Salvagenelli” may stay in my collection but if not I feel much better prepared to disclose the things I’ve learned here.