Is this a Re-stemmed and Banded Savinelli?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If by sloppy you mean the covering of the stamping I’d agree, unless it was necessary to fix it, but the band installation itself is better than some banding, by design, on pipes I’ve seen. It was very well done by who ever did it.

A properly installed band is "shrink fit tight" without any raised edges, gaps, or wrinkles.

Like so:

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 1.23.55 PM.png

Not this:

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 1.21.21 PM.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
All that shows is the band is tight at the face, not on the bowl side. (see the yellow arrow... a sharpened toothpick or similar would slide right under the metal there)

Your shank-end photo also makes clear the fundamental installation error that produced the ripples and bumps as well as that gap: the blasted shank surface that the band was to occupy was not leveled, smoothed, and made uniform before the band was installed.

Reactions: AvgKsHunter

AvgKsHunter

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2023
All that shows is the band is tight at the face, not on the bowl side. (see the yellow arrow... a sharpened toothpick or similar would slide right under the metal there)

Your shank-end photo also makes clear the fundamental installation error that produced the ripples and bumps as well as that gap: the blasted shank surface that the band was to occupy was not leveled, smoothed, and made uniform before the band was installed.
Appreciate the insight!

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I will do the shank test to see if a line appears. Thank you for that tip. Using a jewelers loupe and Inspecting it with the stem off prior to posting this there didn’t appear to be a crack. Would almost expect there to be one to motivate someone to do this. Perhaps a crack occurred further down the shank and it was cut above it?
If by sloppy you mean the covering of the stamping I’d agree, unless it was necessary to fix it, but the band installation itself is better than some banding, by design, on pipes I’ve seen. It was very well done by who ever did it.
I bet it was cut and banded

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Looking at the original pic, I would say that the previous owner dropped the pipe or banged it against something which broke the pipe. It appears the break was at the end of the shank at the mortise/tenon. I'm guessing the person who repaired it cut off the end of the shank, and placed the band on it for stability as there is probably still a crack at the mortise/tenon. It's probably a great smoking pipe that was worth saving, so enjoy!

Reactions: RobNYC

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

So they sand the stem down, then use the band to bring the shank back up to flush? You didn't show that part on your pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So they sand the stem down, then use the band to bring the shank back up to flush? You didn't show that part on your pipe.

Not in that sequence.

You level the shank's blast texture by appx the same amount as the band thickness, apply the band, then match the stem base to the outer surface of the band. (It will always be slightly larger in diameter because repair bands are always tapered a smidge)

Reactions: didimauw