Jute Rope or Twine fibers inside my Sun Bear Tupelo?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Sun-Bear1.jpg
Sun-Bear2.jpg

Was bummed to open my Sun Bear Tupelo and find a bunch of, what looks like, jute or twine fibers inside. Has anyone run into this before in a tin? Pehaps a section of twine from being bundled? Not sure I want to risk even smoking a clean piece in case it is from rodents nesting. What's the protocol for getting a replacement tin? Contact the seller (4noggins) or C&D directly?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
View attachment 239675
View attachment 239676

Was bummed to open my Sun Bear Tupelo and find a bunch of, what looks like, jute or twine fibers inside. Has anyone run into this before in a tin? Pehaps a section of twine from being bundled? Not sure I want to risk even smoking a clean piece in case it is from rodents nesting. What's the protocol for getting a replacement tin? Contact the seller (4noggins) or C&D directly?
That's a new one. Sure does look like some sort of rope. Contact C&D and let them know. They've been good about issues with their blends, and they might want to know about it, since it's unlikely yours is the only tin thus affected. You can try 4Noggins as well, but from what others have written, they're not the most responsive outfit.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
That's a new one. Sure does look like some sort of rope. Contact C&D and let them know. They've been good about issues with their blends, and they might want to know about it, since it's unlikely yours is the only tin thus affected. You can try 4Noggins as well, but from what others have written, they're not the most responsive outfit.
Agree. I'd go straight to C&D with this one.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Just thinking out load, but I'm wondering if the cardboard inserts may come in stacks tied up with twine and a piece got stuck to the underside of the insert?
I don't think so - This was in the middle of all the broken flake. I started pulling the blend out to jar and it's a wad mostly in the middle, but the fibers are coating about 75% of all the tobacco.
Thanks - I'll just reach out directly to C&D.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife grew up partly on her grandparents' tobacco farm near Dover, N.C. Part of her participation in tobacco farming was a task called "sticking tobacco," which meant using twine to tie the stems of the harvested leaves in bundles together to hang on sticks in the tobacco barn to cure with fires at the base of the barn.

I'm surprised that any of this twine would end up in the product. It's easy to see how it would happen, but it seems like the blenders have every motive to keep it from happening.

But yes, twine is definitely part of the process and could easily end up in the blend if processing isn't meticulous.

My late wife had many good tales about the farm, including about a small family graveyard from previous ownership from which the dogs would drag out Mr. "Smith's" skull (I can't remember the actual name) every year or two, and someone would have to put it back in the ground. Lots of jack'o'lanterns went on the graves at Halloween.

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
My late wife grew up partly on her grandparents' tobacco farm near Dover, N.C. Part of her participation in tobacco farming was a task called "sticking tobacco," which meant using twine to tie the stems of the harvested leaves in bundles together to hang on sticks in the tobacco barn to cure with fires at the base of the barn.

I'm surprised that any of this twine would end up in the product. It's easy to see how it would happen, but it seems like the blenders have every motive to keep it from happening.

But yes, twine is definitely part of the process and could easily end up in the blend if processing isn't meticulous.

My late wife had many good tales about the farm, including about a small family graveyard from previous ownership from which the dogs would drag out Mr. "Smith's" skull (I can't remember the actual name) every year or two, and someone would have to put it back in the ground. Lots of jack'o'lanterns went on the graves at Halloween.
That sounds.... creepy.

ak2000

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
Just thinking out load, but I'm wondering if the cardboard inserts may come in stacks tied up with twine and a piece got stuck to the underside of the insert?
Your close. They put the blocks of Tobacco in thin cardboard trays and then slice the blocks into flakes. This can leave slivers of the cardboard behind stuck to the Tobacco. It's usually miniscule, but sometimes it's noticeable like in this instance. I've seen it in a tin or 2 of C&D flake and just pick it out. However if yours has more than you find acceptable, call Laudisi/C&D and they will likely just send you a replacement.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Agree with what has been said. Things happen. Just reach out to Jeremy Reeves and I feel confident that they will make it right by you. And like yourself, I would probably be hesitant in smoking tobacco from that tin.

Reactions: EchoPlex

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I have seen twine peices a few times, but usually just tiny bits not a bigass rope like that. I found plastic twine peices in tobacco before (Low Country bulk aros).

20220822_122350.jpg

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Waiting on a couple tins of SBT from 4noggins, hopefully mine aren’t affected, but I will be sure to check at least one.
Hopefully it’s an isolated incident.
One of the two will be opened and jarred, but was thinking of keeping one aside for trade fodder or such.
Any evidence of funkiness, both will be checked and C&D notified forthwith. Retailer has no duty to QC undamaged packages. If it were repackaged bulk, my first call would probably be retailer.

Reactions: sardonicus87