Kiribi Kabuto - How is Yours Holding Up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
One of the online retailers had a sale on the Kiribi Kabuto and I bought a full size model yesterday. I have a question for Kiribi lighter owners. (Last paragraph is the actual question for those that like to get to the point)

I know these lighters have been discussed several times in the past, and I have read those threads. It seems the most commonly mentioned flaw was the screw that acts as a fulcrum for the lift arm becoming loose over time. I already plan on using a little loctite for that issue.

As I read through the threads I noticed the majority of them are from 2013-2015 when the lighter was relatively new. There have only been a handful threads since then, and none for a while.

As usual, it took a long time to get to my question(s): Now that these lighters have been in service for several years and they have been out in the field being used for much longer than they were at the time of the old threads, are they holding up well? Still working as they should? Warranties being honored? Are you happy with yours or did you end up wishing you had purchased an IM Corona Old Boy or some other lighter?

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Unfortunately, I can't comment on this, since I don't own one, however, I have been contemplating picking 1 up. It's a beautiful lighter and I love the flame setup. Is the sale still going on? If so, which retailer?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I bought mine in 2017. I liked it but never loved it. They just don't perform outdoors.

Sent it in for servicing in 2019.. wasn't charged so that was nice.
Worked well for another year or so but ...
I haven't used it now for about 2 years. It won't light. I've cleaned it thoroughly, tried various flints (it sparks fine), even tried multiple butanes (it dispenses gas just fine).

If I pop the cap I can hear gas coming out of the nozzle. I can light it with a separate lighter and it keeps the flame.

But it WILL NOT spark and light on its own.
Funk that thing.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I bought mine in 2017. I liked it but never loved it. They just don't perform outdoors.

I haven't used it now for about 2 years. It won't light. I've cleaned it thoroughly, tried various flints (it sparks fine), even tried multiple butanes (it dispenses gas just fine).

If I pop the cap I can hear gas coming out of the nozzle. I can light it with a separate lighter and it keeps the flame.

Funk that thing.
This has been my experience too, but I've only had it since 2019. I"m not sure what is going on but I just stopped using it. My 28 yo. Corona (not the old boy) just keeps on working.

Reactions: PaulRVA and Ryan

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have two Kiribi. A Kabuto and a mini. The mini has been flawless. The Kabuto had to be replaced for a leaking tank after two years. Smoking Pipe was great to deal with the problem. The replacement is still going strong. Sucks in any wind, just fyi. I also have an Old Boy. You can feel the quality difference. The Old Boy has had no problems in 10 years. It sucks in the wind too. For the price difference, buy once, cry once.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Funk that thing.
I had an Old Boy that did exactly that. It sparked, gas came out audibly, but no ignition unless lit with another flame.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I had an Old Boy that did exactly that. It sparked, gas came out audibly, but no ignition unless lit with another flame.
I've tinkered with the nozzle.. tried to turn it in different directions.. doesn't seem to make sense.
Someone's gotta know the solution.

Reactions: mingc

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Mine (a mini) has been great for 3 years, but now has something going on with the nozzle. May just need a cleaning, can only get a tiny flame out of it.

Reactions: Ryan

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
I've been using a Kabuto since around 2017 (I think) with no issues. It's been a great lighter for me, aside from the fact that it kinda sucks in the wind, but that's expected with that type of lighter. I know a lot of other people have had some problems though, so I figure it will crap out on me eventually. I'll probably just replace it with an Old Boy when that happens, since the Old Boy really isn't that much more expensive in the long run.

Reactions: Ryan

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I had two, bought several years ago.

One stopped working at the 1.5 year mark. Cracked fuel tank. SP replaced it, and then it was lost by me outdoors somewhere.

The other one crapped out after 2.5 years, leaky valve. I threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No issues with my Kabuto.

My Mikazuki, aside from a tendency for the screw that holds the flint in place to loosen a bit, has given me flawless service since AD 2018 even though it's been dropped on ice and pavement several times. I've been bad to a lighter that's been good to me.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I couldn’t decide between the Kiribi and Corona Old Boy so I bought both at the same time. I keep the Old Boy at home and the Kiribi at my shop. When I travel I take the Kiribi not because it’s a better lighter but because it’s a bit more rugged than the Old Boy.
The tactile feel of the Kiribi is a bit more stout. that’s not to say the Corona is delicate, it’s not. It just feels like a finer lighter. It fires up with very little effort. Where the Kiribi may take a few swipes of the flint wheel, which also takes a more sure swipe of the thumb.
The hinge screw does need to be retightened and as long as you keep up on it it’s not an issue. Both lighters should be cleaned regularly at which time it’s easy to tighten the screw.
If I had to choose one over the other it would easily be the Corona Old Boy. It’s just a nicer lighter. That said I’m glad to have both as I use the kiribi more often and don’t mind putting it through its paces.
Neither lighter works well outside if it’s windy.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA

Funk that thing.
Same here. The gas comes out, the flint sparks, it just won't actually catch a flame consistently. I might have to give it 10-15 strikes of the flint wheel for every 1 time I get a flame going. It worked fine for a good year before that, but now I haven't used it reliably in at least a year.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I discovered the existence of pipe discussion forums many years ago while googling pipe lighter problems. Used to have a drawer full of lighters which stopped working til I tossed them. None worked more than 6 months regardless of brand/type. That's why I've used nothing but wooden matches for many years.;)

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
I've been using a Kabuto since around 2017 (I think) with no issues. It's been a great lighter for me, aside from the fact that it kinda sucks in the wind, but that's expected with that type of lighter. I know a lot of other people have had some problems though, so I figure it will crap out on me eventually. I'll probably just replace it with an Old Boy when that happens, since the Old Boy really isn't that much more expensive in the long run.

And I spoke too soon. Just crapped out on me the other day.

Old Boy here I come 🤣