Kiribi Kabuto - How is Yours Holding Up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokestackLightnin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2022
So Cal
Have had a Kabuto for two years. Generally, has worked great. However, last year, after trying to fix an issue with the flame adjustment, which I’d done before with no problems, the valve cap (can’t get the damn thing back on) and flame adjustment started to malfunction.

Reactions: Ryan

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've had one since 2017. It's been okay and the main source of flame for my smoking. But I'm starting to notice that if there is even the hint of a breeze, then it will have issues lighting. Also, if it gets too cold (I'm in Seattle), then it will have a hard time catching a flame.

The hinge screw has come loose, as has the the main screw that keeps the whole thing together (the one in the middle on the bottom of the lighter. Both were easily tightened.

I will continue to use it until it just doesn't work anymore, but after that I'll probably replace it with an Old Boy.

I broke out my old Zippo with a pipe insert for the wind issue and I have to say I understand why I liked Zippos to begin with. Pretty much foolproof.

Reactions: Ryan and didimauw

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Mine has been flawless since I got it somewhere in 2017. I’ve used it a ton and it’s never gone back in for service or needed any kind of minor repair or adjustment. Im aware of the issues people have had with the melting hinge or whatever but I guess I’m lucky. If you get a kubuto on sale, it’s hard to beat. I recently picked up an IM old boy and will also note that the Fit and finish is a noticeable step up. I was initially deterred by not only the extra cost but the service cost as well. with both I take a Q-tip lightly covered with ever clear and clean the nozzle area every once and a while, wipe them down and call it good.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I got a Kabuto a couple years ago. I really liked it for a couple months, then it started leaking and wouldn't hold any fuel. I was going to send it back to get serviced but never got around to it.

I bought a Corona Old Boy after that and have been using it regularly and haven't had any problems. It definitely feels like a quality lighter. I would recommend someone spend the extra bucks for the Corona, tbh. But, I am happy to read that some people haven't had any problems with their Kiribi lighters.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
When mine is giving me issues, I change the flint, clean up the carbon buildup, and fill the tank.

Works like new again.

They are nice lighters, as long as the wind is blowing less than 1km. 🤣

I've had mine for 3 years and it's still lighting my pipes. I also have a couple bics handy if the kiribi is acting up.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I didn't use mine long enough to determine longevity. I hated it from day I got it. They are all but useless outside, and the lift wing on the cap kept opening it in my pocket releasing all the gas. Also side roller candle lighters are pretty difficult for lefties to use, and I are one.

Reactions: AroEnglish

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have both, use mostly the Old Boy, it seems better built and is a pleasure to use. I don't have any specific complaints about the Kiribi, but given a choice invariably I'll reach for the Old Boy.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I find some lighters will only work with a fairly fresh flint. There is usually a very visible spark, but no ignition. Possibly the spark is simply not hot enough?

On the other hand, my IM Corona Old Boys will work until there is virtually nothing left of the flint.

The only butane lighter I ever had that would work in the wind was an old Savinelli with piezo ignition. Unfortunately, when it died, Savinelli was no longer offering repairs.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Since I last posted on this thread the pivot screw nearly popped out. It’s a known issue and it happened to mine too.
I was pretty diligent about checking and retightening this screw. But last month I got pretty busy at work, which is were I use this lighter exclusively. Being pressed on time I stopped paying attention until I noticed the cap wasn’t seating correctly and didn’t snuff the flame. The screw had worked its way out of the threads and was only being held in place by tension. I was able to hold the cap in place and get the screw back into the threads and all is well again.
If that screw had popped out it’s doubtful I’d be able to find it on my shop floor and replacing it would be a real pain.
Keep an eye on those pivot screws!

Reactions: jackets

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
It seems the most commonly mentioned flaw was the screw that acts as a fulcrum for the lift arm becoming loose over time.
This. I've had mine for a year. Need to tighten the screw every so often as I feel it getting loose.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Since I last posted on this thread the pivot screw nearly popped out. It’s a known issue and it happened to mine too.
I was pretty diligent about checking and retightening this screw. But last month I got pretty busy at work, which is were I use this lighter exclusively. Being pressed on time I stopped paying attention until I noticed the cap wasn’t seating correctly and didn’t snuff the flame. The screw had worked its way out of the threads and was only being held in place by tension. I was able to hold the cap in place and get the screw back into the threads and all is well again.
If that screw had popped out it’s doubtful I’d be able to find it on my shop floor and replacing it would be a real pain.
Keep an eye on those pivot screws!
I saw this thread pop back up and hurried in here to report the same thing. My cap was not seating properly and upon inspection it was the pivot screw. Mine was popping out at an angle and was mm’s from coming off entirely. I had to angle it back up and in, which proved to take more pressure and fussing than I would have liked. I worry that the combination of the relatively thin metal and widening of the flat head will only allow It to survive one or two more of those.
editing to include that this lighter is about 7 years old.

Reactions: JackOrion

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Finally sorted out my room and found Kiribi lighter. I placed it in very secure location and completely forgot about it. Honest God, when you have a Zippo and a Bic as a backup, that takes care of all your smoking need.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Update: mine started leaking, just sent it in for (free) servicing. They said it could take a couple of months to get it back. It actually started leaking about two months ago, so it lasted from February until some time in late July. It never left the house, and I was pretty careful with it.