Looking for a New Pipe Lighter-Vertigo or Colibri?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Radice Pipes
18 Fresh GH.ZHANG Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I'm in the market for a new pipe lighter and don't want to spend a huge amount of money on one since it seems like either my father is always stealing mine to light his cigs, or my brother comes over, gets drunk, tries to light a cig, and ends up breaking it due to his clumsiness. I have found two that are right in my price range and wanted to get an opinion on either of these. This one caught my eye on pipesandcigars:Colibri Pipe Lighter and this Old Boy style lighter caught my eye on smokingpipes.com: Vertigo Briar Pipe Lighter Does anyone have any experience with either of these lighters or can anyone recommend one over the other? Thanks!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Every Colibri I owned broke. I have a IM CORONA Old Boy now and love the look and the function. so IMHO get the old boy.

Jul 15, 2011
so IMHO get the old boy.
This one is not an ACTUAL Corona Old Boy, it is just a cheap knock off version that looks and functions the same as an Old Boy. I have also heard mixed reviews about Colibri lighters, so that is why I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with them.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Something to remember the Corona is lifetime warranty, I got my card. So for the money, I'm just saying...

So is a Zippo...

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Look up the Xikar Pipeline lighter man. I paid 40 bucks for it I think. Never has it failed to light for me and comes with a lifetime warranty on it. Looks like an old boy to.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have a friend with a vertigo, as far as i know, he has had it for several years, and it still works fine,seems to use fluid quickly and the black finish has worn off alot, but seems to good and solid, i have used it several times

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have the same Colibri in silver finish. Every once in a while it has an issue not wanting to ignite, usually fiddling with the flame adjustment fixes it. I do like the fact that the flame adjustment on it is an easily accesible wheel and doesn't require a screwdriver to change. Overall I like it, but don't feel it's the end all of pipe lighters.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've never tried a zippo for lighting a pipe. To get a zippo to light properly you have to soak the thing in fluid, doesn't some of the fluid or vapors end up in your tobacco?
Or do you tilt the bowl into the flame while keeping the zippo upright?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have a Zippo with a butane pipe insert. It works pretty well, I don't like the fact I have to pull the entire insert out and use a screwdriver to adjust the flame, but it's not a deal breaker. I also have a second Zippo with a straight butane insert for cigars and such.

Jul 15, 2011
For the same amount of money get a Lotus 1100 from Pipesandcigars.com
Hey Hobie, I was told through the grapevine that Lotus doesn't actually make this lighter anymore. I don't know if that is true or not, but I have been looking at this lighter on pipesandcigars for the last 3 months and they never have it in stock.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have a Colibri lighter and a Zippo pipe lighter. I have never had any issues with my Colibri and it lights cleanly and never has failed me (although I have only been using it for 6 months.) The only issue with a butane lighter is they can't be used in any wind,even a slight breeze. My Zippo, on the other hand lights in a wind, however, you have to put up with a slight fluid taste unless you light it and let it burn for a second or two. The other issue I have with my Zippo is that it need refills more often then my butane Colibri.
I conclusion, use small wooden matches!

Jul 15, 2011
You can get the zippo with a pipe insert and it works great
I shipped a zippo lighter off to have a pipe insert installed some months ago. I got it back, used it twice, then just kinda forgot about it. Given all the talk that people have been advocating about zippo lighters, I might give mine another go. It just seemed like a hassle having to refill it as often as I did, but I guess that will happen with any lighter. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Jul 15, 2011
I wanted to ressurect this thread and give everyone an update. I put off buying a new lighter and instead refilled my Zippo. I don't know why I was so put off of this thing before. It actually lights my tobacco a lot quicker and a lot more evenly than any other lighter I have ever used. Big thank you to all the guys who talked me into giving my Zippo another try. Greatly appreciated! You guys just saved me enough money for a couple of more tins of tobacco!

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
You can't go wrong with a zippo lighter made for pipes. I have one and its never failed me. Reasonably priced also.
http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-11800-Black-Matte-White/dp/B000VREDTQ

Status
Not open for further replies.