PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I looked at that pattern because I'm at that pipe/tobacco collection phase of my new hobby... decided against it for now. It's probably a futile gesture... check back with me in a few months. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: newbroom

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Haven't heard that. I know certain people in the YTPC were trying to contact Savinelli in an attempt to get them to make a 673 KS pipe called the Matches860 model or "The Friday Savinelli." Many people have a 673 KS because of John.

View attachment 301582
My 673 KS Savinelli.
They really should do this ( make a pipe in honor of John) he was a true blue cool dude, and many could benefit from being professional human beings let alone being nice pipe and tobacco appreciators.

Reactions: Zero and kcghost

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Certainly one of MY early pipe smoking companions via the internet. His humility was endearing, his calm, laid back approach to life seemed to accentuate positive aspects without hyperbole. I was always tickled by how many re-lights he needed while he made a presentation. I thought it was not the place to try to learn technique, as John would constantly either puff like a freight train or be re-lighting about every 30 seconds.
John's love for burley helped me to open my eyes to some of its characteristics and I also sampled many C&D blends as a result.
His story telling is legendary. There was always a hint of melancholy with John.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I have one of the Matches860 Pipes. It is a great smoker of course. I keep trying to find another Youtuber like him. But there are none. I just rewatch his videos. CaneRodPiper is probably the closest to Matches. But hes nothing like him. Matches also never ever said a bad word about anyone or anything. And his channel was pretty much Pipes, Tobacco and stories.

n14rl6

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
Gaithersburg Maryland
There are a few folks out there but Matches was the original. I’ve been looking at Marc Lawson and piperdave2023 ( who’s one video got me to buying alot more tobacco lol) with his discussion of shipping etc.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yea, the folks speaking at my father's funeral were talking about a man I never met. :LOL:
It's kind of amazing how much better a person can be when you don't have to deal with all of their humanity. Kind of like how the 80's get this how amazing they were thing, while forgetting about the negatives like fear of nuclear destruction from the height of the cold war, the amount of jobs being lost. Or even how yeah there was some amazing music but there was also a lot of garbage on the radio that no one remembers now.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Don't know Jack Squat about all of the rumors or slander stuff, but I do know that I very much enjoyed his videos. You'll remember that painter, Bob Ross, who was on TV and would paint those pastoral scenes..... Well, I didn't know anything about painting but I know that when I watched one of those, my BP went down and I relaxed. Same thing with Matches860. He was knowledgeable and also very easy with his delivery. Would have loved to have shared a bowl with him. Rest in Peace......

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Today the 673 KS rusticated Dolomiti arrived!
I am more than happy with it - the stem looks better than in pictures, as does the rustication and overall look.
Very comfortable to hold in the hand. The size is just perfect. Open draw as well.
It also have the classic rhodesian/bulldog rings which I dig.

And of course it will remind me of Matches860 and the Friday Savinelli.
Not to mention all the good-spirited threads and comments about him.
The above would make a fine contribution to the right thread, complete with the bad pictures together with good ones.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
The above would make a fine contribution to the right thread, complete with the bad pictures together with good ones.
Right thread, point taken.
Although, I'm not much of a photographer.
The vendors pictures aren't bad in any ways but seeing something irl often differs from seeing it on picture.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
673 KS. The Friday pipe.
I'm currently smoking Folklore in my "Friday Savinelli", a specially made Savinelli 673KS just like the one John is holding in this thumbnail.....one of a run of 860 pipes made by Savinelli to commemorate Matches 860; brought to fruition by Eddie Gray of The Pipe Nook.

Here it is now:

Friday-Savinelli-2.jpg

Friday-Savinelli.jpg