60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
If you like VA/PERs and aromatics, Jolly Old Saint Nicholas was pretty different. Its a VA/PER/CAV, which isn't your most common type of aromatic base and the Orange liquor/ginger topping was both different and very well done.

Both production years are good, though I did prefer the original to the last one. The second iteration needed a week or so of fresh air to calm down the funky perique which the original did not do. I suspect it was due to the new perique supplier they use.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I believe HU Scotney has a green tomato topping. Haven’t tried it and I probably won’t but that sure is unusual.
I've a couple ounces from 2018 that I got along the way and have been enjoying that over the last couple of weeks, it's good in my pipes. I don't taste "green tomato", it's more "vegetal" according to write-ups and while that doesn't mean anything specific to my palate, it's not putting me off in any way.

Reactions: Auxsender

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
My pleasant finds lately have been the Pipe Force blends. I don't like them all equally, but they are unique to my palate and prepare & burn wonderfully. I have a couple of standouts that seemed rather original to me. And in fact have led to me purchasing other crumble Kakes, and seeking those out from my "to try" tins. So I'm def a fan of the presentation / cut as well.

Phantom Privateer was like that for me too...

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The most unique I've found has to be The Untouchables (a collaboration from DTM, HU & Michael Apitz) that I found when I made my first order from Estervals two or three years ago.

It's the only blend i've come across with Cedar/Rose Geranium flavoring. I bought 10 tins last year and I have five of them left.

Reactions: fireground_piper