PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You may want to reconsider that statement.
Why? He admitted to basing the trilogy on Irish tales. They were his ... inspiration. He pulled them together and gave them a few twists. Mind you. I'm not denigrating his skill or mind. He certainly mines the gold with his offerings. Gotta admire that also.

Not having engaged in social intercourse with the man personally I have to base my observation on news reports.

I should also note that he also vehemently denied the Irish influence in the news. But, he spent years in Ireland working so I imagine there was influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpberg
Jan 27, 2020
Why? He admitted to basing the trilogy on Irish tales. They were his ... inspiration. He pulled them together and gave them a few twists. Mind you. I'm not denigrating his skill or mind. He certainly mines the gold with his offerings. Gotta admire that also.

Not having engaged in social intercourse with the man personally I have to base my observation on news reports.

I should also note that he also vehemently denied the Irish influence in the news. But, he spent years in Ireland working so I imagine there was influence.

Yea well, someone invented the wheel, x-number of years ago, but none of use have that particular type of wheel installed on our cars... but, I might be mistaken.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

Too little too late, Warren. The Wrath of The Ring Nerds is upon thee.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

The Germanic, Nordic, Finnish, and other Celtic legends have a higher claim to his tales as he well attested. But…. I am sure their are some hobbits here who will want to chime in with greater detail.

Reactions: captainsousie
Jan 27, 2020
Not enjoying Tolkien is like not enjoying a shitty band like the rolling stones because you listened to howlin wolf.