PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I can, and have, binge watched his videos. (Bremen Pipe Smoker)

Same. Sometimes I just keep him on in the background, listening to him describe holiday blends, or the stories and history or northern Germany, while I do stuff around the house.

I'm kinda impressed with the way he clenches his pipe and talks while smoking. I haven't quite mastered that skill. Makes me want a straight billiard meer with 9mm filter, lol.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
EDIT TIME RAN OUT AS I SEARCHED SOME STUFF

Top Five YTPC

1 Matches860
2 Bremen Pipe Smoker
3 Public Piper
4 NWpipesmoker
5 Muttonchop Piper

My favorite videos are always the weird meditative how-to-make pipes or tobacco like this really exciting Vid

yes I could watch this kinda stuff all-day
This video makes me want to start cutting myself again. cray

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Maybe I’m too used to watching YouTubers who stream for a living, but I find so many of these guys just unwatchable. Minutes pass as they select a pipe, slowly light up, and then sit silently puffing while I’m waiting for the content they claim to deliver in their thumbnail. Some haven’t yet acquired the ability to speak and smoke at the same time, and so much time is wasted on completely unnecessary (and often out of focus) closeups of tins and comments on what online retailer they bought it from. I feel like a little editing would go a long way to delivering a more compelling viewing experience.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Great thread, especially the parts about traits within the pipe smoking population.
I guess creating YouTube channels of varying levels of self indulgent behavior, coupled with misinformation, disinformation, and a fair measure of fumbling around, would be another trait.
I use the same approach to products of the YTPC that is used by Academy committees when viewing submissions. You get one minute to deliver something interesting, something that really gets my attention or you’re done and I’m moving on. That’s reasonable, not a high bar to meet for someone making an effort.
Pro level you would get 10 seconds, tops.
So beyond a curious glance I don’t watch YTPC videos because they’re 99.9% crap.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I can relate to what he's saying. At this time this is the only forum I'm active on.

Years ago I joined a forum and after a while I noticed something about the way it operated that I didn't think was right. In my first post I suggested it be changed. I got an email from the "moderator" telling me my membership was cancelled, and, to top it off he gave me a dressing down like I've seldom herd before. If we had been face to face there would have been trouble.

More recently I was on a forum and had been active on for several years with no problem. Then this guy joins and for reasons I won't go into, he becomes the "hero" of the forum. I could see that this guy could possibly be a con man and so I simply asked him a couple of questions in a very friendly and simple manner. They cut me off. No problem, the forum was kind of beating a dead horse anyway...

No forum is perfect but this one is way above average. I credit the admin and the members for making it a fun place to be. Hope it stays that way. puffy

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
I like SpurgeonPiper and PipeCottage. I can see why some think PipeCottage comes off as snooty but mostly because a huge part of the population has never heard someone speak with traditional southern dialect. These 2 are odd picks for me since they both tend to theological side which I do not subscribe to. But I like their forthrightness. Another is sorta pipe and sorta not and that's DryCreekWranglerSchool.
For me there's a lot these ol boys talk about that some in our younger generation could use and learn from to get some of their sanity back. DryCreekWrangler's pipe stuff is mostly on Rumble due to the censorship risks on YT.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I can, and have, binge watched his videos. He knows something about pipe smoking and rarely “instructs” on how to. Instead, his connection to history, style, kindness and thoughtfulness are what I like. Have smoked many a pipe with him via YouTube.
@Papamique Do you know what it is that he is saying at the end of his videos?
"I hope you have something to cheech on"?
Or something like that?

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
@Papamique Do you know what it is that he is saying at the end of his videos?
"I hope you have something to cheech on"?
Or something like that?

Yes. “Chooch on” which is, from the limited understanding I have, a slang in the YTPC (and possibly greater community) for smoking a pipe while out going for a walk.

Reactions: yanoJL

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Bradley's channel, Stuff 'n Things, is no longer devoted only to pipes and tobacco but I still like his tobacco reviews. Smoking Pipes' monthly Mystery Tobacco Review has been moved off YouTube onto Smoking Pipes' own website. Always fun to watch.
I checked out a couple of Stuff ‘n’ Things uploads, and I have to say that I enjoyed them. While I wish he would take the time to learn a bit more about tobacco blends in general—and perhaps did more research before talking in depth about specific blends—I really enjoyed his straightforward presentation, his tone (definitely not ponderous), and the way he paces his reviews. Bonus: He actually edits his videos! Definitely worth checking out for anyone interested in seeing a good example of a pipe-smoking streamer.

Those “Mystery Tobacco Review” videos look really interesting too. Reminds me of some of the round-robin reviews that used to run in Pipes & Tobaccos magazine after William Serad stopped reviewing. (If he were on YouTube, that would be a channel to watch!)