PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This has been popping up on my Facebook. It looks like Zippo finally learned how to make a proper pipe insert:

I've been using a Thunderbird insert for 10 years, which has served me well.

I found the Zippo fuel pipe insert to be awful - you have to suck down the flame like you are doing a physical breath test.

This one looks similar to the T-bird, but I suspect is more reliable (most folks did not have good T-bird experiences, guess I got lucky)

I thought it was odd that no one has yet mentioned this here?

1687696994405.png

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
I've had one for a couple of weeks.

Thumb fuel button could be a bit larger. Flame height is not adjustable. Flame is available from one port only (good-luck lefties using this). BUT, it is more convenient than using matches (at least for this cowboy) and looks dad-cool in personalized Zippo case and leather holster . . . It's functional but could be better.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Very cool, but in my opinion the biggest reason to bother with the arguable inconvenience of wick/fluid lighters is their ability to still do the job in breezes that butane lighters can’t.
The new butane pipe zippo looks nice, but no adjustment and the small valve button make it one I won’t be spending money on.
A traditional pipe zippo is on my short list since I moved to a place where my flag rarely rests against the pole, and for the size of a zippo in my pocket I usually opt for old djeep lighters (one of the last disposables that have a functional adjustment feature).

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I have a butane torch zippo insert that I use for cigars and it's the most finicky butane lighter I've ever had. Hope this one is better.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Thumb fuel button could be a bit larger. Flame height is not adjustable. Flame is available from one port only (good-luck lefties using this). BUT, it is more convenient than using matches (at least for this cowboy) and looks dad-cool in personalized Zippo case and leather holster . . . It's functional but could be better.
Hmm, I did pick up that the flame is not adjustable. That might be a deal breaker for me. I'll keep using my Tbird, till it poops out.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

I agree,I tried one about 1year ago.
My feelings,the fact you need to hold the button down is not easy ant being a left hander it was a problem having only one port.
I threw it in the draw and tried a thunderbird which was fine until it broke after a few weeks.
The gas /lid lever spring failed

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I wish this had the the flint and wheel as I’m concerned the piezoelectric spark will not last. Also wish you didn’t have to hold it down. The adjustable flame is not a dealbreaker for me but the first two might be.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I’ll give it a go. Have a ZPipe insert, but the darned thing doesn’t light half the time. Keep clicking the pezioelectric ignition button, and never know when it will start - and that’s inside the house with no wind. I’d much rather have a flint and wheel any day.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I watched a couple review videos and it seems at first like they over complicated it by having a flint and having to hold a button to release fuel.

It could be the case though that not having a steady stream of fuel coming out when the top is flipped open is preventing gunking up the nozzle or preventing some other kind of failure like I’ve experienced with my two thunderbird inserts.

I’m not going to run out and get one now but I might consider it in the future.