PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Good day all!

I am heading to my first pipe club gathering and I have no idea what to bring. Obviously, I plan on bringing all the tools I need; lighters, tampers etc.

Do I bring multiple pipes? Multiple Tobaccos? Is it correct to say that I shouldn't smoke all evening in a not quite broken-in single briar? I also have a Meer as well.

What is typical tobacco etiquette? I typically buy my tobacco from the shop where it's being held (its my regular cigar shop). Is it bad form to smoke other tobacco not purchased there? When I got to the shop. I buy one or two there and do not bring smokes from home.

It's BYOB, so I plan to bring a few beers.

What else?

Reactions: jbfrady
Bring a few pipes and some tobaccos. If you have something special that you'd like to share, bring that. But, really all clubs are different. Maybe there will be a ton of tobacco there to try, maybe not. But, having some pipes would be helpful for you.

Enjoy, and let us know how it went. I was involved with my club for six years, until they made me president and I was stuck in the position for years. The only way I could shake being president was to just stop going, ha ha.
My advise is to avoid holding any seats or positions in the club, just enjoy the club, ha ha.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Bring a few pipes and some tobaccos. If you have something special that you'd like to share, bring that. But, really all clubs are different. Maybe there will be a ton of tobacco there to try, maybe not. But, having some pipes would be helpful for you.

Enjoy, and let us know how it went. I was involved with my club for six years, until they made me president and I was stuck in the position for years. The only way I could shake being president was to just stop going, ha ha.
My advise is to avoid holding any seats or positions in the club, just enjoy the club, ha ha.
Damn that's a sad way to end your time at the club. Do you ever miss it or think about going back?

Reactions: anotherbob
Damn that's a sad way to end your time at the club. Do you ever miss it or think about going back?
I think that pipe clubs serve as a great way to get newbies off to a good start, or for guys with experience to mentor someone, or for guys with no other social outlets it is a great way to stay social. I just have new things to explore and such. I have a fully stocked cellar. I have more pipes than I will ever really need, and I have never had any problems making friends, haha.

Since retiring, we have been swinging between our meager vacation cottages. I put my time in on pipe clubs. It's time to let the new guys step up.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
All great advice. Thank you!

I spoke with the shop owner yesterday and he couldn't say enough about this group. He said I will learn a lot and that's fantastic. I'm hoping that someone is looking for a neophyte to mentor!

I have my travel bag packed with the briar and the Meer as well as three different tobaccos, enough to share. A couple beers in a soft cooler. I'm really looking forward to this. Will report back!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think that pipe clubs serve as a great way to get newbies off to a good start, or for guys with experience to mentor someone, or for guys with no other social outlets it is a great way to stay social. I just have new things to explore and such. I have a fully stocked cellar. I have more pipes than I will ever really need, and I have never had any problems making friends, haha.

Since retiring, we have been swinging between our meager vacation cottages. I put my time in on pipe clubs. It's time to let the new guys step up.
Thanks for the response! So you find this forum to be sufficient for talking pipes and tobacco? Or do you have other outlets still, whether online or in person?

Thanks for the response! So you find this forum to be sufficient for talking pipes and tobacco? Or do you have other outlets still, whether online or in person?
I know several other people in town, and at where we stay in the mountains and the beach that smoke pipes.
I have met folks from here, and have been on here long enough to feel like some are family now. The friends I made at our pipe club still come by to visit from time to time, or have also joined bourbon tasting clubs with me. I have other reasons for avoiding The Briary these days, ha ha, but I don't really want to give anyone the wrong idea by airing that on here. It's a great place that I will still refer folks to.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I know several other people in town, and at where we stay in the mountains and the beach that smoke pipes.
I have met folks from here, and have been on here long enough to feel like some are family now. The friends I made at our pipe club still come by to visit from time to time, or have also joined bourbon tasting clubs with me. I have other reasons for avoiding The Briary these days, ha ha, but I don't really want to give anyone the wrong idea by airing that on here. It's a great place that I will still refer folks to.
That's really wonderful to hear. I've got a few guys I've gotten to know here that have become friends but it still seems like I can't get enough pipe talk by just being on the forum 😅

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Agreed with most said here, if you have something you are really liking at the time it's always nice to bring some to share, doesn't have to be any super rare old stuff, if you have it and are feeling magnanimous then go for it but it's definitely not expected or required. Sometimes it's nice to bring a bottle of something since it's BYOB, don't know if they have a rule about adult beverages but if not a bottle can be a nice thing to throw into the pot for the group.

accidental post, please delete
I don't care what he says, don't delete him just for an accidental post!
Avoid talking politics or bringing up any divisive issues. I think these days there's too much scope to fall out!!
You are going to the wrong get togethers, or maybe I'm going to the right ones, I usually tend to gravitate to people that have the same views and opinions and if they don't they can handle any discussion, not saying be a douche there is obviously a limit. As a new guy i would def feel out the group and then decide if you are going to open your mouth.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

So, what. You just like get promoted EVERYWHERE you go??

puffy

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Don’t overthink it.
That’s antithetical to the whole pipe thing, IMHO.

I’ve gone to pipe club meetings with enough pipes and tobacco for everyone (ok, it was RYO and cob seconds) and I’ve gone with just one pipe and a lighter. But it’s nice if you offer to share whatever it is that you have, even if it’s just your lighter.

So, what. You just like get promoted EVERYWHERE you go??

puffy
Ha, well… I joined a printmakers collective to use their presses to make art, and they put me in charge of the damned grouo where I don’t even know everyone’s names. Then our condo at the beach elected me in charge of there. Then, the city put me on the board for the arts council.
Half the shit I’ve been put in charge of, I was never asked. They just talk to me for ten minutes and elect me for shit. Maybe it’s my beard… I have no idea.

Our city just ousted the mayor. I will be hiding at the condo till that shit passes over, ha ha. I really don’t want to do that.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Looks like you already got everything you need. Since you mentioned it is BYOB, bringing something nice to drink is a great way to make an introduction. Some good quality brews or a decent bottle of bourbon is a great way to make a nice first impression, and good booze and good tobacco is a pairing made in heaven. Just have fun and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: AreBee

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ha, well… I joined a printmakers collective to use their presses to make art, and they put me in charge of the damned grouo where I don’t even know everyone’s names. Then our condo at the beach elected me in charge of there. Then, the city put me on the board for the arts council.
Half the shit I’ve been put in charge of, I was never asked. They just talk to me for ten minutes and elect me for shit. Maybe it’s my beard… I have no idea.

Our city just ousted the mayor. I will be hiding at the condo till that shit passes over, ha ha. I really don’t want to do that.
Intercourse Pennsylvania? You're f*cked!