OMG! An Unsmoked 1991 Dunhill for a Mere ........

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Konstantin Shekita Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
96 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Seems quite the bargain to me.View attachment 199312

Have you priced a decent record player lately?
Hifi enthusiast here. And yes, I've priced new equipment recently and sobbed. Luckily there are brands that cater to people on a budget but want great gear - Schiit, VPI, Thorens, etc.
Also, luckily I have a guy who deals vintage gear from his house and works on them.

Lots of snake oil in the audiophile world

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hifi enthusiast here. And yes, I've priced new equipment recently and sobbed. Luckily there are brands that cater to people on a budget but want great gear - Schiit, VPI, Thorens, etc.
Also, luckily I have a guy who deals vintage gear from his house and works on them.

Lots of snake oil in the audiophile world
Truer words were never spoke. BTW, did you know that there's a tie in between Thorens and pipe smoking? Long before they got involved in high end audio, they were a manufacturer of fine quality lighters and other smokers requisites.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What is all the hype with the Danish pipes? I guess it's a result of our own doing, or rather some of our briar brethren
Marketing and exposure. As soon as someone is separated from the pack through favorable notice, people flock to them. The whole Danish Pipe thing is, to me, one of the great scams of the 20th century. Not on a par with cryptocurrency, the greatest scam of the 21st century and possibly all human history, but a scam nonetheless.

Some years ago I asked a collector of high grade Danish pipe if his Nordhs really smoked that much better and his response was, "They smoke as well as my Grabows". His was a finance guy and he knew that they would only get more and more expensive, so he bought them to enjoy and later sell for a profit, which he did.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
To the OP, do you really think the fine folks where this pipe is for sale don't know how to evaluate and price pipes according to their sellable value? I've seen 2 of these:

004-002-15838.1678.jpg
eventually get purchased. If you don't want to pay $2100.00 for the pipe in question, you don't have to. Neither would I, by the way. But I bet you dollars to donuts, somebody eventually will. That being the case, wouldn't it be silly of the seller to list the item at under market value? And if it sits there long enough and nobody buys it, they'll put it on sale, and you can snap it up at a discount.

Marketing and exposure. As soon as someone is separated from the pack through favorable notice, people flock to them. The whole Danish Pipe thing is, to me, one of the great scams of the 20th century. Not on a par with cryptocurrency, the greatest scam of the 21st century and possibly all human history, but a scam nonetheless.

Some years ago I asked a collector of high grade Danish pipe if his Nordhs really smoked that much better and his response was, "They smoke as well as my Grabows". His was a finance guy and he knew that they would only get more and more expensive, so he bought them to enjoy and later sell for a profit, which he did.
I would never assume that the great Danish pipes smoke better that (insert you pipe of choice here). I want them because of the history. Not just the pipe history and the connection to Stanwell (which in my opinion is a dead company now), but to the history of the Danish crafting movement in general. It is called Scandinavian now, but it was there that many of the most interesting designs started being produced, chairs, candles, houses, etc... In a land that had great wealth, they turned back to this odd natural organic look and aesthetic. They are a piece of history. If someone just want s great smoker, they can get that at $50 if they examine the piece close enough.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would never assume that the great Danish pipes smoke better that (insert you pipe of choice here). I want them because of the history. Not just the pipe history and the connection to Stanwell (which in my opinion is a dead company now), but to the history of the Danish crafting movement in general. It is called Scandinavian now, but it was there that many of the most interesting designs started being produced, chairs, candles, houses, etc... In a land that had great wealth, they turned back to this odd natural organic look and aesthetic. They are a piece of history. If someone just want s great smoker, they can get that at $50 if they examine the piece close enough.
I can totally relate to that, since an interest in the history of pipes is part of why I've collected the Britwood that I've collected, and an interest in the crafts movement is behind the British and American Arts and Crafts furniture and metal work I've acquired.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Around 2 years ago, give or take, SP briefly listed an estate -- 1950 unsmoked Dunhill for I think $1050. Maybe it was 1500 but I think lower. Anyway it didn't last long. Given what I hear about Dunhills of that vintage I often wonder how that thing smokes.