Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
Awesome, thanks for the feedback from everyone. Based on the above, I may ultimately cellar both (and LNF as I sampled that for the first time yesterday and was rather impressed).

But of course there's a time/money factor at play, and I have some other blends outside the Va/VaPer family I want as well.

In the short term, I think I'll start with HH Pure Virginia, since it seems more likely to get clipped by deeming.

Thanks again and happy smoking!

Reactions: gervais

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
You should smoke multiple tins of each and decide for yourself. Not sure how someone else can make that decision for you. OGS has a very slight amount of perique and IMHO, benefits significantly with age. HH Pure Virginia is better fresh and not as spicy but sweeter. It will also benefit with age. I have multiple pounds of each, I think they are both excellent flakes.
At how many years of aging is OGS the best?

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
That is a tough question, as I enjoy both quite a bit. So if it were myself, I'd even it out and get as much as you could afford of both.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
At how many years of aging is OGS the best?

8 years, 9 weeks and 4 days. Seriously, best is going to be subjective. I've had OGS that was 13 years old and was fabulous. 2 to 5 years will charge it substantially. The Rough edges from the Virginia seem to mellow and it sweetens leaving the spiciness of the perique to step forward a bit.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I second Hoosier's comment about the OGS. Fresh it is only so-so to my tastes, but the 6 year old batch I had was noticeably sweeter and had what I thought was a minor tang of perique that I did not notice when it was fresh

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried the MacBarens. OGS was the first flake of any kind I tried, and I have found it a solid choice, and since you are thinking of cellaring a quantity, you'd get the benefit of it aging well. Consider going 2/3 and 1/3 on these, for variety.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.