PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My one Peterson (spigot, acrylic stem) sits in a pipe rack on the mantle, not in the sun but in open air in an air-conditioned house, and it has been several months since it was polished. It's not super bad and black or anything, but it's distinctly brassy looking and has had this brassy look since maybe 2 weeks after the only time I ever polished it.

Even then, I only polished it because there was a black finger-print mark on it.

View attachment 247473View attachment 247474
Definitely a job for a jeweler's cloth.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Definitely a job for a jeweler's cloth.
I have one (two actually), I just don't bother with the polishing. The tarnish on silver won't hurt anything. Once the outer micron layer is oxidized, it stops; not like steel where it continues to oxidize deeper into the metal.

I have a silver unicorn ring that turned nearly black when I lost it under the couch for a year and a half. After I polished it back up, I put it in a box and it hasn't tarnished since.
PXL_20230918_091102564.jpg

I could always put the Peterson in a drawer/box/bag and it would probably not tarnish (or do so much more slowly), but I like my pipes sitting on display on the mantle. It especially fits with the map thing on the wall. Reminds me, I need to clean up and organize my mantle. Bunch of junk up there.
PXL_20230918_091731947.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The only thing I have an issue with "The Brand" is you end up paying a premium for the name alone.
“Premium” implies so many things.

If what you mean is however the value of the name figures into pricing from the point of view of the manufacturer it figures in then yes, no different than any other product.

Name may make a difference in a positive or negative way, or not at all.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Anyway, I had hoped there might be a tie in to the Holmes line but still wait and see on the particular ones I guess, otherwise there are a couple of the many listed shapes that are also appealing - looks like supply shouldn’t be an issue.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Wanted to check the shape lists, boo no 107, but this made me laugh:

The gloss deep ruby sandblast is intended to evoke, says Andy Wike at Laudisi, “the deep red stains of the first sandblasted pipes.”* In studio lights, the red hues come out more brilliantly than what I was able to capture in my own home lighting (which I admit is anything but ideal), or in natural daylight or evening home lights.
AKA these are going to look borderline brown in outside of SPC's great studio shots. The fact they're sandblasts probably isn't going to offset the "premium" pricing of the silver band, vulcanite stems and leather bags. So I assume they'll be pricier than even last years spigot models. Definitely a miss for me.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The silver (aluminum I believe) P on the stem puzzles me. They put it on a lower priced release, but not on the POY.
I think it’s because they were trying to keep the POTYs more historically accurate. I wish that extended to the longer ferrule but 🤷‍♂️

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
These have appeared in some corners of the internet, and they appear to be MUCH darker than the release photos. Sort of a dark chocolate colour.

I guess there's a chance the photos I'm seeing are the innaccurate ones and are showing them darker than they actually are!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
These have appeared in some corners of the internet, and they appear to be MUCH darker than the release photos. Sort of a dark chocolate colour.

I guess there's a chance the photos I'm seeing are the innaccurate ones and are showing them darker than they actually are!
Just got a look at them. No B56 and no chamber depth greater than 1.65", going to have to pass. Sad really, I was hoping for a big B56.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Got mine earlier on, colours fine. Think it’s just differences on various site’s photos.
Passed on this shape back in 2017, when it was the POTY because of the short saddle stem. This tapered stem suits the shape much better I think. Nice blast, drilling spot on & I couldn’t be happier with it.
IMG_4111.jpegIMG_4108.jpegIMG_4103.jpeg

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Got mine earlier on, colours fine. Think it’s just differences on various site’s photos.
Passed on this shape back in 2017, when it was the POTY because of the short saddle stem. This tapered stem suits the shape much better I think. Nice blast, drilling spot on & I couldn’t be happier with it.
View attachment 248245View attachment 248246View attachment 248247
I retract my earlier comment, must have been the photos on the website I was looking at that were off!

Reactions: simong