PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
i just got a peterson havent smoked it yet but in looking at the different pipes and price points on them is there really a difference? the one i have ive seen in different lines up to over 200 bucks?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
needpics1.gif

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think Peterson makes fine pipes, but I don't think there's much of a difference performance-wise between their highest end pipes and their low to moderately priced pipes.
I think the Donegal line, with its rustic finish and silver band, give you the most bang for the buck.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I like Petersen. It all comes down to the reputation of the pipe maker in regards to how the pipes are priced. Petersen has proved they can mass produce pipes(good pipes) and they have been established for a long time. But in the same regard mass production of pipes does reduce the price of some of the pipes. Take for example Petersen POY, its a limited edition pipe so fewer pipes are made. Same with the series pipes. I would say Petersen pipes are great everyday and starter pipes and to really express the difference grab a handmade pipe from a well establish craftsman that makes 30-50 pipes a year and feel/smoke/see the difference.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Peterson's does worth the money. As tokerpipes said, series pipes are very fine, smokes well, don't go very hot even if you smoke fast. Anyhow, I wouldn't pay more than 300$ for a peterson's or go for gold hallmarked ones. It is everyday pipe, you can enjoy it anytime with feasible price. Go for Kildare, Sherlock Holmes, and Charles Darwin Series, from my POV they are the best of Peterson's

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I verge on being a Pete collector with about 25 of them now. I enjoy the history and the idea I can afford a 75+ year old briar for less than $100 in a pipe that will smoke fine. The Sherlock bents and army mount standards always smoke great. I really like the commemorative pipes. There are several great web sites that provide a lot of info on the history.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
I just want to put my two cents in on the cheaper lines. I recently purchased a Kapet X220 from smokingpipes.com, and for their "lower end" it is an absolutely wonderful pipe. Now I don't own any of their higher end models, but if they build them even better than my Kapet, then you cannot go wrong, period.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Still waiting for those pictures ;-)
But yes, I have a Kapet which cost me $50 and a Rosslare Royal Irish which cost me three times as much. The Rosslare is obviously a lot nicer grain, has the nice silver spigot, amber lucite stem, etc.. Smokinwise though, the Kapet smokes as nice as the Rosslare. I don't know in the long run since both are fairly new, but if you're looking for a utilitarian pipe, the cheaper lines smoke near as good as the more expensive ones.
But the looks... oh the looks.... sometimes that's worth the extra money

pete-rosslare-1-600x226.jpg

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
@tokerpipes i am on a real tight buget as i quit my job to take care of my dad the nursing home wasnt doing a good job so my income is based on how sales are doing and right now its not so good.

as for pics if i knew how to post them i would

@Mick my Pete looks like the pic u posted but in the Aran with the p lip.

i wish i could get a hand made pipe from one of the makers who make 100 or less a yr i bet they smoke unbelieveably well

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
@jaysin

Keep yur chin up man. I will not be the only one to tell ya that we have been in the trenches. I have 3 basket pipes that smoke just as good as my petersens. I say get what you can afford. 2 things to consider when buying pipes that I have learned. Buy what you can afford that wont break you if need replaced. Getting an estate is just like buying it new, its just been loved more. Will keep my hopes up for you and good luck with the Smoking. We always stick together on this site bro.
Oh and if you are looking for a hand made and dont mind a custom cob. Talk to thesmokindragon on here he has good prices for awsome pipes and a cob can last as long as any briar.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Jaysin.. great looking pipe my friend.
Does it happen to say 999 ? If so, you got yourself a fantastic little Rhodesian there ! Great smokers, perfect shape to clench and to hold. Just the right in between feel for me. Besides the one I put up here, I also have one in the Harp finish. Love both of them.
And most Peterson Kapets go for under $60. You can also find the Savinelli Tevere rusticated ones for that same price range. I have one of each and they smoke just fine. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good smoking pipe.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'll just go on the record and say I really don't like Peterson's pipes... or it may be I haven't found one I liked yet. I get more satisfaction from my Savinellis and Rinaldo than any of Shaun's Petes. I like a nice open draw and don't want to bother with the Pete System pipes or P-lip.
Just my $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.