Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 5, 2024
Israel
Something about a Soviet Sherlock just doesn't seem right. Sherlock is all about "thinking" and that was not approved of in Soviet Russia.... cray
At that time nobody thought about it...
BTW, they censored out Sherlock's phrase "Oh, you've served in Afghanistan!" (When he meets Dr. Watson). Changed it to "eastern colonies".
Another fun fact - Sherlock's pipe was hand-made by Alexey Fedorov, the guy who made Stalin's pipes. At some point during the making of the movies the pipe was stolen so they had to find Fedorov's apprentices to make another.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Bet he smoked it when he buggered chickens as the rumor goes. He was quite the deviant in real life.
A Scots friend was speaking to a farmer one day, another guy came by and the farmer said "hello Hen" as he passed. My friend asked if his name was Henry, but the farmer replied "naw, naw, he's been called that since he was caught _functioning_ wi' a hen"

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@anotherbob Pipe scene in Barry Lyndon:
He blows clay pipe smoke in his wife's face - he'd be kicked out of Lace Wars for that!
Saddest part is I kept thinking he's puffing too much and needs to slow down a bit. Great movie every single scene is shot as if it's a painting from the time period. You know a movie is great when it's three hours long. And that scene is the first indication what a terrible husband he is.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Saddest part is I kept thinking he's puffing too much and needs to slow down a bit. Great movie every single scene is shot as if it's a painting from the time period. You know a movie is great when it's three hours long. And that scene is the first indication what a terrible husband he is.
@anotherbob Sometimes I can be prone to puffing too much & need to slow down a bit; I was worried about the pipe going out & people (especially re-enactors) like to see a BIG CLOUD of clay pipe smoke:)

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I accidentally came across Christopher Lee in 'Incident at Victoria Falls' (1992), and noticed this meerschaum he was smoking. Here's a photo I took of the t.v. screen, showing it from the side.

Also found a quote of his that I liked: "I think an actor should try anything he can in his career except folk dancing and incest..."

jPulpKu.jpeg

c58bfc0f8bb952bbd3df508a8593c306.jpg