PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I've noticed the opposite. I drink a couple shots of tequila and nothing. Tobacco same. I think maybe I've just grown accustomed to these things coincidentally at the same time covid hit. But who knows. But I have noticed that now when I see a person wearing a mask around their chin I have an increased urge to rip it off their face. Anyway...

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Covid affects different people in different ways.
BINGO!!! That's the simple reality of it. Some people are asymptomatic while others die of it within a few days of contacting it, some catch Covid over and over and others haven't caught it even once, and all points in between. Then there are the long haulers who just stay different levels of ill for months or years, and, unrelated to the severity of symptoms, there's the gradual internal organ damage over time, that's another lovely feature of this weird pathogen.
Herd immunity is a lovely fantasy that exists in the absence of the fundamental reality of genetic mutation. Sorry, but herd "immunity" belongs in the same category as the moon is made of cheese, or the stork delivered you after picking you up in a cabbage patch. Resistance is a different animal.
What I do around Covid is my choice. Others will make their choices. Hopefully, nothing as imbecilic as what currently poses as political beliefs will be part of the calculus. It isn't part of mine.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have been fascinated with the 1918 flu all my life, because I suppose my great grandmother Paralee died of it, nursing the rest of my father’s family who all nearly died of it.

Except for no insulin or penicillin, basic medical science in 1918 was highly advanced. If you took insulin and modern antibiotics out of the bag of a modern doctor there would not be a huge difference.

Doctors in 1918 thought they had encountered a super bacteria.

They developed a vaccine, that seems to have helped with the secondary pneumonia that killed a lot of victims, but of course didn’t prevent the virus.

Like today, they had quacks and charlatans promoting worthless remedies. Since just like Covid, over 95% of those that caught the Spanish flu survived, the survivors swore their remedy worked.

Like today, they tried hand washing and cleanliness. Like today, people didn’t faithfully wash themselves, probably worse then than now.

They had mask mandates, with the same results as today, except then there was a war on so they weren’t as tolerant of resisters.

The only measure they took that definitely worked was isolation, what we called social distancing.

Over the fall of 1918, an old man named Alva Rains was 13 then and a live in hired hand told me my great grandmother Paralee arranged and enforced an effective quarantine on the household. While the flu raged around them their home was spared.

Then the war ended and the family wanted to go to Humansville, for Armistice Day bonfires.

She stayed at the residence of my Uncle Elmer who was in France and had a wife and little child at home. The spot was a half mile west. They hadn’t caught the flu yet either.

Guess what happened?

They all caught it.

They called a doctor but none would come.

Elmer’s wife Cora didn’t have a phone.

Finally my Aunt Eva sent Alva, who was the least sick, over to fetch her mother Paralee.

Alva would tell the story and say he’d never been as sick, but he was sure the others would all die, and he might live.:)

Paralee heard him coming and stood out in front of Elmer’s home with a shotgun, and said that will be close enough, Alva.

Alva told the story of deathly sickness and they weren’t able to cook, and she said hitch my horse on my buggy and I’ll be along shortly.

She alone, died of it, the others lived.

When Elmer returned from France he hated Eva for killing his mother the rest of his life.

Paralee’s husband, my great grandfather Alvin, was left an invalid for the two more years he lived.

And two years later, perhaps every soul on earth caught the virus and it utterly disappeared.

And every book I own about the 1918 flu remarks how ten years later hardly anyone remembered, there was no mention of it. The flus that still circulated mainly killed those about to die, anyway.

That looks like that will happen with Covid as well.

We will forget.

Xxxx

Globally, the number of new cases decreased by 44% during the past 28-day period of 5 February to 3 March 2024 compared to the previous 28-day period (8 January to 4 February 2024), with over two hundred and ninety-two thousand new cases reported. The number of new deaths decreased by 51% as compared to the previous 28-day period, with 6200 new fatalities reported. As of 3 March 2024, over 774 million confirmed cases and more than seven million deaths have been reported globally.

During the period from 5 February to 3 March 2024, COVID-19 new hospitalizations and admissions to an intensive care unit (ICU) both recorded an overall decrease of 35% and 64% with over 78 000 and 500 admissions, respectively.

Xxxx

But unlike a century ago, medical literature will tell doctors the best way to combat the next global pandemic. Todays epidemiologists will study this for another century until we all die, even the babies born today.

Minus the politics, it will fascinate people a century from now, that it ever was political.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
covid....schmovid.............here is the cure for what you have.
View attachment 296571
Thank you for reminding me that my health issues are my own fault. I’ll head down to the local Bunnings this weekend and grab a crate of those supplements, maybe i can find my balls while I’m at it.

Edit: just incase the my love for Aussie sarcasm was lost in the American forum filter settings, you’re all good you old bugger. The irony of talking about health on an open forum is not lost on me. I’ve been struggling with long covid for 2 years and this is the second thread I’ve talked about it in, and only to make Dan not feel like more of a weirdo than he normally is

Reactions: jpberg