PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
So, I’m still relatively new to pipe smoking and tried numerous aromatics, only to find that most of them didn’t live up to my expectations, or enjoyment/taste (really couldn’t taste much and a fair amount of tongue bite). Most of these issues were probably just me, however, my wife and I recently went to New Orleans and I stumbled across a tobacco shop that sold several blends of Perique. I bought some and OMG…. I have found my sweet spot!

Now for the question… I’ve stated branching out into non-aromatics and just got an order of Peterson Early Morning and I love it, about to order another tin. I also like what I’ve heard and read about Night Cap. It’s a little more expensive and just curious what the seasoned experts out there might have to say about it, based on my complete enjoyment of Early Morning..: should I try it? Is it comparable? Better? Or are there other comparable/better options I should look at? After numerous purchases of Aromatics, I really don’t want to spend a lot more $$ experimenting. I now know what I like, but would enjoy a little variety.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Nightcap has a bit of a nic hit, so if you can handle that, it's good. For lighter nic levels, take a look at GLP Quiet Nights or SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve. Both are quality tobaccos. Also, since you love perique, you might want to look at GLP Chelsea Morning. It's an English with a little perique in it...solid with morning coffee.
Excellent… thank you! I’m really interested in Night Cap, but you’re the second to respond on the nic hit, which is a bit discouraging, but it’s also something that I may be able to handle… don’t really know what to compare to.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Go for it!
It's a fantastic blend, I loved it from the first, and it was indeed subsequent to EMP & MM965 as well.
Everyone feels the nicotine differently. There's no reason you can't enjoy a smaller amount in a bowl as you "learn" what it's effects are on you.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Excellent… thank you! I’m really interested in Night Cap, but you’re the second to respond on the nic hit, which is a bit discouraging, but it’s also something that I may be able to handle… don’t really know what to compare to.
And if you continue to enjoy a pipe, your response / tolerance to nicotine will evolve anyway.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
And if you continue to enjoy a pipe, your response / tolerance to nicotine will evolve anyway.
That is true… and I must say that now that I’ve finally found some tobacco’s I like, I’m hooked! I’m really enjoying both Perique and Latakia blends, I guess most aromatics just aren’t for me, although I have found 3 or 4 that I do enjoy… but not as much as the these other blends that I’ve finally decided to try!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
If you're certain that you'll stick with this, know that your tastes WILL change, improve, vary, and take unforeseen deviations, perhaps even circular.

I had read enough of that input here on the forum to believe it would likely be true for myself - as it had been for so many others. So as I was buying things to try "now" and putting back blends for the future, I never hesitated to purchase well-recommended Virginias, VaPers, VaBurs, etc. for example. Even though I was having all the typical challenges with them back then.

Now, I've got lots of good, and some great, blends to enjoy in categories that didn't suit me then, but do now. My tastes DID change, and now I've got blends that were good, some will have improved after a year or two, and all's well!

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
If you can find an old tin of Dunhill Nightcap from the early 2000's or before, it was a terrific blend. The stuff that has been made since that time (for Dunhill and now Peterson) is a mere shadow of its former self in my opinion and not really worth purchasing as there are much better blends on the market with latakia and perique such as Greg Pease's Samarra and Ashton Artisan's Blend.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
At first you'll think it's almost exactly like Early Morning probably. When you smoke them more you'll be able to tell the difference. So yeah they're very very similar. I settled on Balkan Sabranie 759 as my go to English. If you're wanting something way different, I suggest also exploring Virginia blends and Orientals. 507 c Virgina and the Stoved 597 S are a good start. Morning Bayou as well. They're cigarish to me, which I like. Hay grass sorta earthy. Good luck though!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
If you can find an old tin of Dunhill Nightcap from the early 2000's or before, it was a terrific blend. The stuff that has been made since that time (for Dunhill and now Peterson) is a mere shadow of its former self in my opinion and not really worth purchasing as there are much better blends on the market with latakia and perique such as Greg Pease's Samarra and Ashton Artisan's Blend.
He's a newer smoker, and like myself, will not likely have an opportunity to try the Dunhill version.

But that does not mean that Petersons version isn't appreciated by those of us who have only tried it. It's a good blend that is available today, and might be something he'd enjoy immensely, and is both affordable and available.

I too appreciate Artisan's Blend, but Nightcap was unique and an immediate love in my experience.

I think it's a good idea to encourage tasting current blends to new smokers for what they are today, and this one is still a crowd pleaser.