PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Here in Louisville (aside from higher smoking rates, which accounts for a likely slightly above avg per capita pipe smokers too) we have the "southern Baptist seminary" which is like the largest Baptist bible college in the whole damn world. I've heard the president there smokes a pipe - therefore many of his acolytes mimic his ways.
They're easy to pick out when the come through the shoppe.
We've even had a hand full over the years smoke with us. There's one in particular that spits. A spitter.
🤮

Anyway.. yes it's always fun to encounter another in public.
I was your city this fall, and visited Kremer's tobacco shop while I was there. I treated myself to a balkan house blend they had in stock, and enjoyed it with another pipe smoker on their back porch. Cool place to smoke a bowl (when the weather permits) 👍

To be honest, I was expecting this to be this sort of "run into"...
Best Man Gets Hit By Car GIFs | Gfycat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's complicated. All the places and areas and communities that ban smoking make it a somewhat furtive activity, so we hide it even when that's not necessary. Arguably, pipe smoking attracts people who are independent minded and often not that sociable anyway. And old fellas tend not to suffer fools gladly, and they tend to suspect that most people fit that category, possibly also themselves.

One older guy, about my own age actually, who I encountered in the grocery store parking lot, sort of fled when I asked him about his pipe and tobacco. Over his shoulder in rapid retreat, he did disclose he was smoking Prince Albert. Maybe he was just in a hurry anyway.

At my local independent pipe shop I occasionally eavesdrop on the smoking table as I browse the merchandise, the pipe wall, and the tins of blends. I'm usually too engaged with window shopping, and sometimes I just don't want to engage that particular conversation, whatever it is. Not everyone has the open-mindedness to engage in a balanced conversation rather than a heated debate. I shrug. Such is life.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
In my neck of the woods in a fairly isolated northern Canadian town, there is another pipe smoker I know. We both are only occasional smokers, so we try to meet up once month or so to have a bowl together.

However, where I lived previously (town of 5000), I knew 3 or 4 other young guys who smoked, although only one guy did it every day. I know there are others out there though.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Speaking as a younger man, I do keep away from the public.
I’m not a total recluse, I openly smoke on the front porch off a busy road, and generally putter about rather visibly, I’d imagine. Hell, if the fancy strikes me and I’ve the means, a nice place to, and perhaps some friends who also do the same, I’m more than happy to.
You see, it’s not that I stay away from people only because I don’t want to smoke a pipe anywhere anyone might breathe it in, but it’s mostly to avoid the very many people who assume that a younger person keeping to themselves and smoking a pipe are smoking pot, or is dubious, societally or otherwise, by some other means.
I don’t care all too much what people think about the fact that I smoke a pipe, I just don’t want to increase my odds of dealing with bothersome people or situations.
Oh, and one last thing to touch upon, and one in expressing is intended not as a slight towards anyone, but moreso what I’ve found in my own meandering experience.
There are always people that can be found disagreeable in both how they conduct themselves and who they’ve chosen to become in life as life has come to them.
Pipe smokers, if to be described as nicely as one could, are an eccentric bunch.
Niche groups seem to attract a certain type of folk, especially groups that collect and research and so on. While there are good-hearted folk who share the designation of pipe smoker, there be many a neurotic, many of contentious disposition, and many a hoarder.
I’ve met truly kind, respectful, good pipe smokers, but perhaps they shine so brightly because they are few and far between.
After all, anyone can smoke a pipe.
Yes, it makes me feel nice to see a pipe being smoked, but unless I am at a gathering of pipe smokers who have gone out of their ways to meet up and be cordial, I’ll keep to myself.
I wouldn’t go out of my way to start a conversation with someone who also has a They Might Be Giants shirt on, I’d just grin and tell them “Nice shirt.”

Edit: It seems mso489 has much more succinctly covered points I have shared, so much for taking a break mid-post for lunch. 😆

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I saw a guy smoking a pipe in the wild once too. He was driving a truck. It was in the city. It also happened to be IPSD which I figured must explain such a freak occurrence. Other than that, I've only seen a couple other pipe smokers at the local cigar club, but I avoided eye contact with them. Didn't want to spook them or anything.
I've seen a few people in vehicles smoking pipes and I've certainly smelled people smoking pipes. Oh and once I saw an old guy leaving burger king and lighting up his pipe. I wanted to asking him what he was smoking because it was the blandest smelling pipe tobacco I have ever smelled (vapes smell stronger).
Side note one of the times I felt the worst smoking a pipe, I walked by this old couple and the old guy looked at my pipe in this way that says I am not allowed to do that boy I wish I could do that.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I'm sure some of those gents keep their better pipes and other blends at home. Number of members carry pipes they don't mind damaging and blends that won't tick off strangers.
if I know I am going some where I can smoke but the company is mixed I am more likely to consider room note. Not the worst excuse to bring out the aromatics.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Just yesterday, I had to run to the courthouse for a thing,
This is the most casual reaction I've ever seen to being on trial for manslaughter (don't worry you got this one beat, no cares about Jeff we're all better off without him). But still that's pretty casual.

and passed a guy smoking his pipe out front. I made sure to fire up my pipe as I walked back out, we nodded. I didn't want to engage him, just in case he was work release or something, ha ha.
Oh gosh I've worked with so many work release guys. They're funny because they're usually the happiest person at the job. I guess cause they're the only people there whose day is better because they're at work. And usually they are on their best behavior because they don't want to lose the job.
But, we have quite a few pipesmokers in this part of Alabama. I see them so often that it more becomes odd to hear how you guys react when you do see another pipesmoker "in the wild."
I think the best part of it was his confirmation that there are more pipe smokers around but just not out and about as much. I think part of it is geography and not just culture but also I think where it's warm people are more likely to sit on their porch or stand around outside.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It's complicated. All the places and areas and communities that ban smoking make it a somewhat furtive activity, so we hide it even when that's not necessary.
It's funny smoking is banned on the campus (unless you're a part of the Union, which we are, so we can. The worst thing anyone has said to me about my smoking is asking me to move along. Weirdiest thing for me is when I started if a girl walked up to me about my pipe it was to say her dad or granddad smoked a pipe and thanks for reminding her of him... Now they ask advice for picking up a pipe and learn to smoke and where to buy stuff and all that.

Arguably, pipe smoking attracts people who are independent minded and often not that sociable anyway. And old fellas tend not to suffer fools gladly, and they tend to suspect that most people fit that category, possibly also themselves.

One older guy, about my own age actually, who I encountered in the grocery store parking lot, sort of fled when I asked him about his pipe and tobacco. Over his shoulder in rapid retreat, he did disclose he was smoking Prince Albert. Maybe he was just in a hurry anyway.

At my local independent pipe shop I occasionally eavesdrop on the smoking table as I browse the merchandise, the pipe wall, and the tins of blends. I'm usually too engaged with window shopping, and sometimes I just don't want to engage that particular conversation, whatever it is.

Not everyone has the open-mindedness to engage in a balanced conversation rather than a heated debate. I shrug. Such is life.
Which is most fun when it's because they take the debate style of obstinate bluster over having an argument. Most fun you can have with that is telling them that you're under zero obligation to engage in any debate with them. If they insist and won't leave you alone start debating them about the most important issue in the world which is the best Sufi poet!

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I'm probably a younger person by pipe smoker standards (40), but I don't tend to take my pipe anywhere. I enjoy them in my workshop or on the back deck of my house.

I could take them out in public and maybe I would on occasion, but then I need to take the case and the various things needed with me as well, and it's another thing to carry. And I don't tend to spend a lot of time sitting on park benches and things, where I might enjoy a pipe for 20 or 30 minutes.

I suspect most people just like to enjoy a pipe as a way of slowing down and thinking, and not rushing through one while on the go.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Maybe we need a "Pipe Smoker's Day", where all us guys make a point of smoking our pipes in public. We can spice it up a bit by having a tradition that if anyone objects to our pipes we beat them soundly around the head and shoulders with a stick. puffy

htg5.jpg

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've smoked a pipe at the same time as another person two times in my life. I'm not opposed to it, but I kinda like the solitude of it sometimes. Like it'd be great to go somewhere, have a bowl of St Bruno and a Guinness with some friends, but most of the time I want to sit and silence and relax with a cup of coffee or tea or something. That said, last year I was driving and saw a dude smoking a pipe while getting his mail and almost crashed my car.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm unable to recall seeing another pipe smoker in public in recent times.
A few years ago I gifted a mate a pipe to get him off cigarettes. [And we are gently encouraging a mutual friend to make the switch to a pipe]
We regularly enjoy a bowl together.
Although he's not as interested in learning about the differences between different genres, leaf types and combinations or say a ribbon cut to a flake, he does politely listen to my observations and comments.
Just the other day I shared a bowl from my one and only tin of Macbaren Golden Extra [a fine example of a pressed Burley] He liked very much puffy

A common comment in the replies is how many don't always take a pipe with them when venturing into public.
When I smoked cigarettes that was inconceivable. Being stuck somewhere without a pack of coffin nails . . . oh the horror! [Cravings had reached a point of ridiculousness. Couldn't go thirty minutes before the cravings struck]

Recently while walking my dog, my mobility scooter broke down [I ride while my dog trots alongside]
While waiting for a mate to finish work and come to my rescue, I settled into a shady spot, got out my pipe and loaded a bowl . . . but alas, I forgot to bring a lighter.

On reflection, it was my reaction to this that was a pleasant surprise.
Puffing on a bowl while sitting in the shade on a beautiful day would have been rather pleasant.
Going without was more of an annoyance with self for forgetting a lighter but that quickly passed with a shrug.

Switching to a pipe saved me from myself.
I've always enjoyed smoking but the difference between my addiction to cigarettes and smoking a pipe is like night and day.
It really is a case of having my cake and eating it too.

It's why I rarely miss an opportunity to share with young cigarette smokers.
Smoking a pipe really is associated with older men.
Nothing would cheer me more to see that change, where smoking a pipe was seen as cool amongst the younger generation.

I think I got through to one young bloke online recently. There was a distinct change in attitude when I pointed out that amongst other things, puffing on a pipe is more for non-conformists than sheep who follow the mob :)

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I was your city this fall, and visited Kremer's tobacco shop while I was there. I treated myself to a balkan house blend they had in stock, and enjoyed it with another pipe smoker on their back porch. Cool place to smoke a bowl (when the weather permits) 👍
Awesome.. what brought you to louisville?
I wonder who you met.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Awesome.. what brought you to louisville?
I wonder who you met.
I just went in to look around (yeah, sure :) ) with an eye out for a small/narrow bowl pipe, something I might dedicate to virginias. The shopkeeper, Alicia, led me to a Peterson deluxe system pipe. It had been there for a while, the silver ring was a bit tarnished. But, I liked the way it looked and felt, and I had been curious to try a p-lip pipe, so I bought it.

While in the store, I met a man named Ernie who was smoking a blend and it smelled wonderful. He told me it was an aromatic english house blend, and they had 1oz left in stock. So I bought that too, along with the Balkan I mentioned in my previous comment.

Ernie led me out the back door to a porch, and we sat and smoked for a bit. It was oddly cold and windy that day (October) but a really fun experience. I logged into Google maps and put up a 5-star review for the store (and Alicia) under my actual name, Joey.

This was only my second time visiting "Louvuhl", but I kinda like your city and hope to return again someday.