PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Quite the opposite, at least in my case. I've never been one for trends or otherwise following the herd.
Same

seeing another smoker in the wild is, to me, a sign of life for the hobby.
Not necessarily. With estate and secondary markets, there's likely several decades or more worth of pipes and tobacco out there.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
I did run into a fellow pipe smoker several weeks ago. I was getting into my car, and when I looked over at an adjacent truck, I noticed that he was firing-up a pipe. I walked over to his truck, introduced myself, and remarked that I thought I was the only pipe smoker in town. I had to get going, as company was arriving, shortly. Imgave him my phone number, and let him know it would be nice to get together over a bowl, or two. Time will tell if he ever calls.
Hey TrainPipeMan. I hope that fellow calls you. I would love to have someone here to have a quiet smoke with, I’m in a small town in NZ, so very unlikely. Do you work on the rail?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey TrainPipeMan. I hope that fellow calls you. I would love to have someone here to have a quiet smoke with, I’m in a small town in NZ, so very unlikely. Do you work on the rail?
I think it may depend on how flirty he came off. Which could go either way. I mean if a guy gave me his number and wanted to talk pipes sometime I might assume things.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: chopper and seanv

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Come on Bob, I thought it was kinda sweet puffy
True. And I practically jumped the guy I saw, and I think there might have been a moment where he was like is this guy trying it too, so I might just be projecting my own experiences.
And being a person is funny. We do all these little signals that either are super natural (not supernatural though) or just a bit off and easy to miss the mark.
Though my honest not joking thought is that it's a busy time of year and a real chance they'll get to hang out sometime in a month or so when there is more down time.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have seen several people smoking pipes in my area, but one of us is always in passing in a car, so I can't really get their attention or have an conversation.

Reactions: JOHN72

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I see a few older guys from time to time where I live with a pipe near our local grocery store usually smoking their pipe in their vehicle or bench outside the store. Never really stopped to talk to them, but that’s usually because I’m in a hurry or don’t want to bother them.

I don’t usually smoke in public because my wife isn’t a fan of the smell of smoke in a vehicle or because I just don’t want to have a lighter, a pipe, tobacco and whatnot to keep up with because I’ll lose something along the way :LOL:

I do smoke my pipe around friends during a poker night or bonfire get together. They all enjoy using one of my cobs from time to time, but they’re mostly cigar smokers because “Pipes just seem too complicated compared to cutting the end of a cigar and lighting it.”

To each their own though.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I once saw a mannequin, smoking a pipe, he was in the winter fashion section. In the commercial center of the town. I asked him what the fuck he was smoking, but it must have been good tobacco, because he didn't say anything, he just looked to the side. The tobacco had to be strong with nicotine, because the mannequin was yellow as a candle. In the end I decided to buy some panties for my mother-in-law, for her birthday.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
I have not yet run into a pipe smoker in the wild, but I look forward to it. Not for validation or justification of what I enjoy, but rather to strike up a conversation with someone that has a shared interest/passion. I get tired of the same ol' "whats the weather like there, did you hear what John and Jane are doing/going?, you should try eating xyz as it helps with xyz..." As the years pass I just find it harder and harder to feign interest or pretend. Nowadays, I'll just fire up my pipe and "listen" but really I'm just deep in thought or trying to understand how Jiminks can pinpoint so many details in tobacco :). Because I'm a clencher, the pipe also serves as an excuse as to why I'm only offering an "mmmhhmmmm" or "ah" response.

It's why I've always loved forums, people care about something enough to communicate and share their opinions over a passion. Sharing that passion in person, just adds to it for me.